I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
I am about to purchase a Mac Mini which I intend to use as a home server. My iTunes library is currently just shy of 3TB (includes Movies & TV Shows) so I will need to connect an external drive which iTunes will point at.
Ideally I would like to leave the Mac Mini and external hard drive on all the time and for them to wake when required to avoid wear on the hard disk.
I know that this should be very straight forward but I have read that there are some issues with Mountain Lion whereby external drives are ejected when the machine wakes from sleep.
I will be using iTunes with Home Sharing enabled so that any member of my family can access the library from their iPad or the Apple TV we have in the living room.
Does my proposed set up sound correct and will there be any issues I should consider?
- Asked by Christopher B
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library)
2 Answers from the Community
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up.
- Answered by Gavin M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have this drive for my i tunes only and it works excellent!!!
- Answered by Neil W
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort
- Asked by Scott M from Falls Church
- Flag as inappropriate (what can i use to move my big itunes library onto a drive of some sort)
- Asked about: Mac
Can I store my iTunes library, Photo's on this hard drive.
- Asked by Robert M
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I store my iTunes library, Photo's on this hard drive.)
- Asked about: G-Tech 1TB G-DRIVE USB 3.0/FireWire…
Will the Apple tv only play movies you've purchased through iTunes, or can it play all movies saved to your library?
- Asked by Spencer J from Alexandria
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Apple tv only play movies you've purchased through iTunes, or can it play all movies saved to your library?)
- Asked about: Apple TV