G-Technology's G-DRIVE mobile Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 hard drive is easy to set up and carry anywhere with your MacBook for storing your most important digital video, music, and documents. Inside its sleek, beveled aluminum case is a high-performance 7200 RPM hard drive with a choice of ultral-fast Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 connectivity. It's also bus powered, so there’s no need to carry an external AC power supply.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- High-speed Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 connectivity
- Up to 136 MB/sec transfer rates
- Stylish aluminum enclosure
- Bus powered via Thunderbolt or USB
- Plug-and-play Mac OS setup and easily reformatted for Windows
- Apple Time Machine compatible
- Thunderbolt cable included
- Three-year limited warranty
Did you notice?Delivers Thunderbolt and 3.0 connectivity along with 7200-RPM performance.
Apple Recommends ForHandy, bus-powered storage for taking along your essential files and backing them up wherever you go with your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile Thunderbolt/USB hard drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- USB 3.0 cable (compatible with USB 2.0)
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered, External power supply
- Height: 0.71 in./1.9 cm
- Width: 3.27 in./8.3 cm
- Weight: 10.4 oz./294.84 g
- Length: 5 in./12.7 cm
- Mac OS X v10.7 or later
- Windows 8/7/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G03040
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487193183
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
Ratings & Reviews
Very fast little drive. I just wish G-Technology offered an SSD version!
Indeed as the other reviewer points out, the G-Drive Mobile has an elegant and very minimalistic design. It's bus powered which re Indeed as the other reviewer points out, the G-Drive Mobile has an elegant and very minimalistic design. It's bus powered which reduces cable clutter, is fanless so noise is very minimal, and it uses Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 so it's very fast. My current setup has all USB ports on my iMac being used up with one unused Thunderbolt port left, so this drive was perfect for me. I was happy to finally see a respectable Mac drive manufacturer make a bus powered Thunderbolt drive.
The only thing I really wish is for G-Technology to also offer an SSD version of this drive. However anyone looking for mass storage will love this drive. …
- Written by Charlemagne D from Pittsburg
91 of 107 people found this useful
Yes! I like this
This is a super fast hard drive both thunderbolt and usb 3.0, I really recommend more than the Buffalo. Elegant design.
- Written by Wilkins C from New York
67 of 83 people found this useful
Better than hoped for
I used the Thunderbolt cable, not the USB-3 cable.
It performs better than I had hoped for on my 2012 13" MacBook Air -2 GHz i7 I used the Thunderbolt cable, not the USB-3 cable.
It performs better than I had hoped for on my 2012 13" MacBook Air -2 GHz i7 processor, 8 GB memory, 256 GB Flash drive. It is silent and fast beyond expectations. As a backup drive (not Time Machine), no setup is required -- installation is instantaneous. Next week, I will try installing another identical G-Tech drive for Time Machine purposes on a 2014 21.5" iMac (also 256 Flash drive) being delivered to me.
I bought the G-Tech drive at an Apple Store. A salesperson told me that G-Tech drives generally are for business, and that this drive is a high-end consumer product. …
- Written by Stephen B from CLARK
37 of 44 people found this useful
Nice device, light, fast, silent. A little bit hott after few hours of intense use. Come with 2 kinds of cables, usb3 & TB. I don' Nice device, light, fast, silent. A little bit hott after few hours of intense use. Come with 2 kinds of cables, usb3 & TB. I don't regret and recomand it. …
- Written by Raphael N from St. Geours de maremne
1 of 1 people found this useful
One of the best mobile HD I have ever used.
I have been using this drive for about three weeks now and I have had no problems. I needed a small but fast drive that used thund I have been using this drive for about three weeks now and I have had no problems. I needed a small but fast drive that used thunderbolt for data transfer. So far this drive has worked just great. It is extremely fast and reliable. …
- Written by Kevin Q from Saint Paul
1 of 3 people found this useful
I've purchased 3 of these and all have broken in a 1-2 year time frame. And I've not transported them around, either. They've sat I've purchased 3 of these and all have broken in a 1-2 year time frame. And I've not transported them around, either. They've sat on my desk. I would recommend purchasing a LaCie instead. …
- Written by Joy B from GLENSIDE
12 of 25 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
what is spin speed?
- Asked by Amin H from Los Angles
According to the description, 7200 RPM
- Answered by Kunal S from Duluth
Will this work with my 11inc Mac Book Air
- Asked by John W
Yes, it will work well with your 11" MacBook Air.
- Answered by Elliot B
can it be used as a boot drive
- Asked by Dale K from Petawawa
Yes, you can configure any external or internal drive to boot from a mac. On a PC, it depends on yo Yes, you can configure any external or internal drive to boot from a mac. On a PC, it depends on your bios and it's settings. …
- Answered by Russell K from Severn
Does it work with ipad air? Can I back up my photo album? Tks
- Asked by Graziano I from Trieste
No, unfortunately this product can not be used with your iPad. I would recommend that you look at th No, unfortunately this product can not be used with your iPad. I would recommend that you look at the G-CONNECT from G-Technology, it's a wireless storage device specifically designed to be used with iPad & iPhone. you can find out about it on G-Technology's website. Although, to my knowledge, its not sold on the Apple online store. …
- Answered by Elliot B
can I use thnderbolt to Firewire cable on this drive to move data to a firewire device.
- Asked by Kenneth D from Saint Charles
What type of thunderbolt is it? 2.0
- Asked by Ivy W from Bonita Springs
No, just Thunderbolt 1. The transfer speeds don't even reach USB 3 speeds (half of Thunderbolt 1) so No, just Thunderbolt 1. The transfer speeds don't even reach USB 3 speeds (half of Thunderbolt 1) so having Thunderbolt 2 would be pointless. …
- Answered by Andrew T from Sydney