The premier storage choice for creative audio/video professionals and multimedia enthusiasts around the globe, the PROMISE Pegasus2 now can deliver even faster performance with the new 20 Gb/s Thunderbolt 2 technology, while assuring enterprise-class reliability and ease of use.
Blazing speed for creative workflows
The Pegasus2 is the fastest Thunderbolt 2 storage solution available, delivering raw power for audio/video/graphics amateurs and professionals alike to experience new capabilities with ease. Final Cut professionals can ingest, edit, and playback multiple streams of ProRes 422 (HQ), ProRes 4444 as well as uncompressed HD 10-bit and 12-bit video while protecting valuable workflows, audio sessions, and other creative media content.
Simple, flexible, and cost-effective backup solutions
Fast, safe, and reliable external storage is essential when protecting your valuable files such as music, photos, and videos. Backup your irreplaceable digital media, documents, and also your entire computer or workstation to Pegasus2 with Time Machine in OS X.
Easy to use, quiet, and eco-smart
Pegasus2 systems are user-friendly, and come pre-configured straight out of the box—so you can just plug in and start using. Status, management tools, and advanced settings can be accessed via the built-in Promise utility. Engineered to be eco-friendly and RoHS compliant, Pegasus2 is perfect for SMB environments.
Enterprise-class RAID protection
Pegasus2 features enterprise-level RAID storage protection for your data, supporting a broad range of RAID levels as well as automatic error handling.
About Thunderbolt 2
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
With Thunderbolt 2 now built into the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina display, you can connect up to three 4K displays at once. Thunderbolt 2 gives you up to 20 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Choice of raw capacities: 24TB of raw capacity (20.7 TB configured RAID 5 and formatted with HFS+) or 32TB of raw capacity (27.9 TB configured RAID 5 and formatted with HFS+)
- Advanced RAID engine, supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10
- Robust error handling provides superior data protection
- Reliable, rugged yet elegant enclosure, ultra-quiet design
- Two Thunderbolt 2 ports for daisy chaining up to six Pegasus units, Apple Thunderbolt Displays, or Mini DisplayPort devices
- Hot-swappable bays for effortless drive access and serviceability
- Built-in Promise Utility for systems management and advanced settings
- Backward compatible with 10 Gb/s Thunderbolt hosts and devices
Did you notice?Pegasus2 systems come pre-configured straight out of the box—so you can just plug in and start using them.
Apple Recommends ForTake advantage of 20 Gb/s Thunderbolt 2 performance for creative audio/video projects on your Mac Pro.
What's in the Box?
- PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 (24TB model includes eight 3TB 7200-rpm drives; 32TB includes eight 4TB 5900-rpm drives)
- Thunderbolt cable
- Power cable
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: RAID support, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 2
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 12.2 in./31 cm
- Width: 7.36 in./18.7 cm
- Weight: 25 lb./11.2 kg
- Length: 9.84 in./25 cm
- OS X v10.8.5 or later (OS X Mavericks ready)
- Available Thunderbolt port
- Mfr. Part Number: F40PR8P01100000
- UPC or EAN No.: 704118099405
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Two years; extended warranty options are available, please contact Promise for details.
Ratings & Reviews
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can the PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 32TB (8 x 4TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System be connected into a local ethernet network to be shared off multiple computers?
- Asked by Terry H from Monash
Yes it is. You can share this storage like any external drive.
- Answered by Victor G from Ivanteevka
Is it easily portable? I need to work from two locations - 70 miles apart. I would not want a NAS because of the small bandwidth and transfer cost.
- Asked by Nicole S from Westmount
Depends on what you mean by portable. It's pretty big and pretty heavy but is transportable ( as opp Depends on what you mean by portable. It's pretty big and pretty heavy but is transportable ( as opposed to portable) …
- Answered by David M from Kissimmee
Can this drive be used by two computers at the same time
- Asked by Jason S from Bowling Green
Very unlikely. But if both computers have Mac OS X 10.9, you may want to connect the iMac to the Mac Very unlikely. But if both computers have Mac OS X 10.9, you may want to connect the iMac to the Mac Pro using a Thunderbolt cable, and create a Thunderbolt network bridge. Then, you connect the drive to the Mac Pro and share the drive with this network.
If you do not need the speed, you can buy a NAS instead. …
- Answered by Tommy R from Montreal
can this be hooked up to a network
- Asked by Peter H from Toronto
Yes and no. It's not an "NAS" (Network Attached Storage) device, so it can't just be connected dire Yes and no. It's not an "NAS" (Network Attached Storage) device, so it can't just be connected directly to the network. But you can attach it to any Mac and turn on File Sharing in System Preferences and the drive will then be available to other computers on the network. …
- Answered by Larry Y from San Jose
What RAID configuration does it ship with?
- Asked by Rex W from Rexburg
With what kind of HDs does it ship with, or do we need to get the HDs separately?
- Asked by Ryan S from San Diego
The R8 ships with all 8 drives in place, that's why you choose to have either a 24 or 32 TB version. The R8 ships with all 8 drives in place, that's why you choose to have either a 24 or 32 TB version. It may change depending on the batch, but mine came with eight "Seagate 3TB Performance SATA 3 Hard Drive ST3000DM001 7200rpm". The 32TB ships with 5400rpm drives, so is a little slower. …
- Answered by James G