The Western Digital My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes a super-fast USB 3.0 interface for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
With this single drive you get compatibility with your USB 2.0 devices today and the ultra-fast speed of USB 3.0 when you're ready to step up to the next generation.
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student, or road-warrior.
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorized use or access.
WD Drive Utilities
Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics, and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook or MacBook Air. You can also easily reformat it for Windows.
Compatible with Time Machine
Quickly back up your files with Time Machine.
WD quality inside and out
Western Digital builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance, and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 devices today and then USB 3.0 devices when you're ready
- Add extra storage for your videos, music, photos, and files
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorized access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTake your photos, movies, videos, and files along wherever you go with your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Sleep Mode, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 21 mm/0.82 in.
- Width: 110.8 mm/4.36 in.
- Weight: 230 g
- Length: 82.3 mm/3.24 in.
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: WDBLUZ0020BSL-NEAP
- UPC or EAN No.: 718037814124
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
- *Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Excellent little drive
Don't let the 1-star reviewer fool you. This drive is excellent. I've had several of them over the past year with no problems. I r Don't let the 1-star reviewer fool you. This drive is excellent. I've had several of them over the past year with no problems. I regularly get around 85-90MBps transfer out of them. The other reviewer should note that EVERY hard drive manufacturer has drives that die, that is the nature of spindle hard drives. Back up your stuff and when a drive dies, just replace it. I've had great luck with WD's customer service too. They now offer to ship you a replacement drive before you ship back a faulty drive so that you can get up and running faster. …
- Written by Justin V from Wellington
87 of 98 people found this useful
Robust and Solid
I can't explain the other reviewers of this drive by my experience has been nothing but awesome.
I use this drive as my main m I can't explain the other reviewers of this drive by my experience has been nothing but awesome.
I use this drive as my main media (iTunes) storage device for my MacBook Pro. The size lends itself to sit perfectly on the left side of my 15" MBP without coming close to the trackpad. It's lightweight and has quickly become one of my most valuable pieces of tech.
I have kids who have knocked and jostled this drive around... even dropped it on the floor. I nearly lost my mind but it is still intact to the writing of this review.
It's been totally solid for me.... for about a year. I recommend this product highly! …
- Written by Jeff P from Edmonton
20 of 24 people found this useful
Reliable, value for money
Great little drive, this is my second and I haven't had a single problem.
- Written by John G from Jamaica
12 of 13 people found this useful
WASTE OF MONEY!!!
"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Errors, Very unreliable. Not even worth 1 star.
- Written by Andrew I from CORPUS CHRISTI
0 of 2 people found this useful
Works Great then Dies
I bought the thing 9 months ago and it worked great but about 2 weeks ago it began self-ejecting. Now it just won't work at all. I I bought the thing 9 months ago and it worked great but about 2 weeks ago it began self-ejecting. Now it just won't work at all. If you plug it into the USB port the light on the drive goes on but nothing appears on the screen. I found a Mac forms page that let me know how to fix it using the Disk Utility and it worked once but not again after that and the Disk Utility can't fix it anymore. Its price is right but not if you have to by two to back up the original. …
- Written by Andrew R from Centennial
Is all I got out of this thing before I had to call WD to get an RMA.
All my Time Machine Backups were on that drive plus a bun Is all I got out of this thing before I had to call WD to get an RMA.
All my Time Machine Backups were on that drive plus a bunch of other data.
I do realize hard drives can fail soon soon after using them. However, the drive itself didn't fail. There is a known issue with these WD 2TB Passport drives with Macs and WD seems to be dragging their feet to fix it. …
- Written by Nilton F from Calgary
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
What is the spin speed of this hard drive? 5400 or 7200rpm?
- Asked by Katy-robin G from Missoula
will it connect to a macbook pro.
- Asked by Joyce M
Yes, it will work with USB 2.0 on your Macbook Pro
- Answered by Francis D from Raleigh
does this come formatted for the mac?
- Asked by Joanne D from Glen Rock
Yes, Simply plug and play. Or store in this case.
- Answered by Gareth K
Is this device thunderbolt compatible?
- Asked by Soo F from Laguna Beach