The Western Digital My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes a super-fast USB 3.0 interface for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
With this single drive you get compatibility with your USB 2.0 devices today and the ultra-fast speed of USB 3.0 when you're ready to step up to the next generation.
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student, or road-warrior.
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorized use or access.
WD Drive Utilities
Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics, and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook or MacBook Air. You can also easily reformat it for Windows.
Compatible with Time Machine
Quickly back up your files with Time Machine.
WD quality inside and out
Western Digital builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance, and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 devices today and then USB 3.0 devices when you're ready
- Add extra storage for your videos, music, photos, and files
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorized access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTake your photos, movies, videos, and files along wherever you go with your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Sleep Mode, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 15 mm/0.6 in.
- Width: 110.6 mm/4.35 in.
- Weight: 140 g
- Length: 82.1 mm/3.23 in.
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: WDBLUZ0010BSL-NEAP
- UPC or EAN No.: 718037814568
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three-year limited
- *Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Bought this to store all my school stuff and any other additional stuff that I don't want to lose. Looks great, it maintains the A Bought this to store all my school stuff and any other additional stuff that I don't want to lose. Looks great, it maintains the Apple aesthetic of the silver and black. Speed is a little slow, but it is great if you want it for something simple, and won't be using it every day. Perfect for casual users that just need something to store your stuff on. …
- Written by Christine D from Fleming Island
50 of 56 people found this useful
poor WD product
quit after 6 months -- i can't even find support --if a product won't work,support IS part of its functionality
- Written by James H from st clair shores
47 of 55 people found this useful
it gives average transfer rate of 50-60MBPS.
Its light ! compared to other HDD like seagate, and small in size
- Written by Wangel T
42 of 48 people found this useful
Drive works as expected
I have had a WD 1TB My Passport used as a backup drive on a Windows 7 PC for over a year. When I switched to an iMac in early 2014 I have had a WD 1TB My Passport used as a backup drive on a Windows 7 PC for over a year. When I switched to an iMac in early 2014, I just plugged it into the iMac, let Time Machine do its thing to format the drive for the Mac OS X, and it has been working flawlessly for the past 6 months on the iMac. It is fast, quiet, and has been reliable to date. I do check Time Machine every now and then to verify that it is doing successful backups and have not seen any issues at all. …
- Written by Neil K from Yorba Linda
1 of 1 people found this useful
Doesn't last for more than a year.
I have potable hard drives that are 10 years old and still functioning flawlessly. I used this as my Time Machine back up drive. I I have potable hard drives that are 10 years old and still functioning flawlessly. I used this as my Time Machine back up drive. I'm afraid I've lost a lot of important data on this drive. Please do not buy this. You have been warned. …
- Written by Dylan C from Bombay
1 of 2 people found this useful
quit after 3 months of use,
Gave no sign it would quit and i failed to make a backup, now i cant send it in for warranty since i have or better said had impor Gave no sign it would quit and i failed to make a backup, now i cant send it in for warranty since i have or better said had important files on it. I thought it would at least last a few years. …
- Written by Gerardo B from hialeah
10 of 11 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
I need to back my 2007 imac so I can update the software can I use passport to do this?
- Asked by Julie C
You should have no problem with this hard drive as your Time Machine back up. Click on the Apple ico You should have no problem with this hard drive as your Time Machine back up. Click on the Apple icon at the top left of your Desktop toolbar, then click System Preferences, then System, and finally Time Machine. Follow the instructions given and your computer should start backing up all your files to the WD Passport. IMHO, these are good little drives. …
- Answered by Lisa D. W from Florence
can passport be used for more than one machine
- Asked by Philip F
Yes, it can – as can any external drive providing there is sufficient capacity to hold all the data Yes, it can – as can any external drive providing there is sufficient capacity to hold all the data and accumulate Time Machine history. As a 'rule of thumb', buy a size that is at least twice the capacity of the dataset you are seeking to back up. Example: if the combined data on the Macs is 500Gb, buy at least a 1 terabyte drive, @m4mac …
- Answered by David E
What is the spin speed of this hard drive? 5400 or 7200rpm?
- Asked by Katy-robin G from Missoula
will it connect to a macbook pro.
- Asked by Joyce M
Yes, it will work with USB 2.0 on your Macbook Pro
- Answered by Francis D from Raleigh
does this come formatted for the mac?
- Asked by Joanne D from Glen Rock
Yes, Simply plug and play. Or store in this case.
- Answered by Gareth K
Is this device thunderbolt compatible?
- Asked by Soo F from Laguna Beach