The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing, and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminum enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminum case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminum enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE external hard drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables; FireWire 800 to 400 cable
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 1.85 in./4.7 cm
- Width: 5.125 in./13 cm
- Weight: 2.87 lb./1.3 kg
- Length: 9.25 in./23.5 cm
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Mac OS v10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191066
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: Three years
Ratings & Reviews
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
109 of 163 people found this useful
Good Built but too noisy and glowing led
Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it is too noisy and the front led is more of a flashlight than an indicator, quite disturbing, as it is placed beside my iMac ! …
- Written by Guy T from Kritzendorf
43 of 47 people found this useful
Love This Drive
I've had this drive for over a year, and use it daily. I've never had a problem with it, or my 2 G-Drive Mini's
- Written by Adam C from Winnipeg
30 of 34 people found this useful
nice hard drive.......
I have this little gem, only thing I find annoying, is the bright white light thats on all the time, I cut a small piece of foiled I have this little gem, only thing I find annoying, is the bright white light thats on all the time, I cut a small piece of foiled back self stick what they wrap on furnace joints , I cut to fit on the light as a defuser works great and still shines around back light, the drive is not all that noisy I find it works great on my new I Mac, better than the WD i used to have connects to apple products by plugging it in, I like it, and recommend …
- Written by Thomas S from Columbus
1 of 1 people found this useful
Good while it last!
I bought this drive in June 2013 after losing my main computer drive. Today I had a message that Mac OX could not repair disk. I t I bought this drive in June 2013 after losing my main computer drive. Today I had a message that Mac OX could not repair disk. I tried to get it to re-connect, but to no use. Now I need to look for a new one before anything happens to my main HD in the computer.
I only give it 2 stars because it was always having issues backing up coming out of sleep. I would have to restart the computer to correct it. It was also bulky and loud like others commented. …
- Written by David P from Lake Orion
1 of 1 people found this useful
This is Legit
I've had this drive for almost three years and work it like crazy without a hitch. Because the the drives are Hitachi drives, one I've had this drive for almost three years and work it like crazy without a hitch. Because the the drives are Hitachi drives, one will know it can be guaranteed for a long life span. I've had a previous Hitachi 2.5 drive and it's been thru a lot from leaving it in a very hot location to a very cold location it still keeps ticking and that drive is on it's 10th year of ticking. This drive is amazing I would recommend. …
- Written by lawrence W from san jose
1 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
As is, no for this you need a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage) and then access the one drive via As is, no for this you need a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage) and then access the one drive via ethernet or wireless. Having said that, many routers have a USB port that can accommodate an external HDD which then can be accessed via the network.
You'll want to make sure that the router supports USB 3 though, otherwise this drive wont live up to its potential. …
- Answered by Sam M from Northgate
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
It works fine with my system!
- Answered by Neil W
it has to be connected to power outlet all time
- Asked by Amr E from Cairo
If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer is Yes it does. …
- Answered by D J C
I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
- Asked by Christopher B
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. I I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up. …
- Answered by Gavin M
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana