Originally released March 2012
Apple TV gives you access to the best content — blockbuster movies, TV shows, sports, your music and photos, and more — right on your HDTV.1 You can even play content from your iOS devices on your TV wirelessly using AirPlay.2
Apple Certified Refurbished Products
- Quality products at great prices
- Rigorous refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty
- Covered by Apple's 14-day returns policy
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Engraving and gift wrap not available for refurbished iPods
- Supplies are limited
iTunes movies and TV shows in 1080p.
Buy or rent the hottest HD movies, catch up on the TV shows everyone’s talking about, and tap into the millions of other entertainment options from the iTunes Store.3
Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, MLB, NHL, and more.
Watch hit movies and TV shows, live sports, breaking news, the latest viral videos, and more from some of the biggest names in entertainment.
AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream what’s on your Mac or iOS device to your HDTV and speakers via Apple TV. Or mirror exactly what’s on your device's display to the big screen.
Your photos and videos.
With My Photo Stream, your most recent photos and videos automatically appear on your Apple TV. And thanks to iMovie Theater, the projects you’ve made in iMovie are ready for viewing on the big screen.
Quick and easy setup.
Just plug in the power cord and connect Apple TV to your HDTV with a single HDMI cable (sold separately). If you have an iPhone or iPad, hold it near Apple TV, and Apple TV will learn about your home network and receive your iTunes account settings automatically.4
With iCloud, you can buy movies and TV shows on Apple TV and watch them on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, or PC. And vice versa. iCloud also stores your photos and videos, pushing them wirelessly to all your devices — including your HDTV via Apple TV.5
What's in the Box?
- Refurbished Apple TV
- Apple Remote
- Power cord
- Apple A5 chip
Power and Battery
- Built-in 6-watt universal power supply
Input and Output
- Optical audio
- 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
- Built-in IR receiver
- Micro-USB (for service and support)
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth support for Apple Wireless Keyboard (requires Apple TV software version 5.2 or later)
TV and Video
- TV Compatibility: Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,6 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse
- Video Formats: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Audio Formats Supported: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
- Photo formats: JPEG, GIF, TIFF
Size and weight
- Height: 0.9 inches (23 mm)
- Width: 3.9 inches (98 mm)
- Depth: 3.9 inches (98 mm)
- Weight: 0.6 pounds (0.27 kg)7
- Wi-Fi (802.11 a, b, g, or n) wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11a, g or n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
- iTunes Store account for buying or renting movies and buying TV shows
- Netflix account for streaming Netflix content
- For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10.6 or later
- iTunes Store account for Home Sharing
Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C), Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C), Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing, and Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m).
- Apple TV is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact: Brominated flame retardant-free; PVC-free; Meets ENERGY STAR 3.0 requirements for set-top boxes
We want you to be satisfied with your purchase. When you need assistance that is not provided by your manuals, through onscreen or online help, or by fax, please call: 1 800 MY-APPLE. Your telephone support includes 90 days of assistance for Apple-branded products8. Our trained staff is ready to help you with the installation and basic use of your Apple product.
- 1. Subscription may be required to access some content.
- 2. AirPlay is available on all devices running iOS 4.3 or later. Some features require the latest software. Second-generation Apple TV or later required.
- 3. Not all movies are available for purchase.
- 4. iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), iPad, or iPad mini; a Mac computer with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later; or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
- 5. Requires iOS 7 on iPhone 4s or later, iPod touch (5th generation or later), iPad (3rd generation or later), or iPad mini.
- 6. Requires HDCP when playing protected content.
- 7. Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- 8. Following the 90 day support period, you may be asked to provide a credit card or other payment method.