Questions & Answers for Lightning to VGA Adapter
48 Questions from the Community
Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?
I am a chemistry teacher and my fume hood is in a very tight spot in my class. I want to show reactions that happen in the fume hood over a projector. If I were to use a GoPro camera, the GoPro app, and connect my iPhone 5 to a projector using this adapter, would I be able to get the projector to show a live feed of the reaction?
- Asked by Jeremy S from Kapolei
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?)
Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?
Given VGA is video only, can the Lightning Port on the adapter be used for audio and power or just power? Does the audio pass through the connector?
- Asked by Mark S from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
The Lightning port does support audio. However, VGA does NOT.
You will not get audio out via a VGA adapter and cable.
- Answered by Nathan C from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
What's in the box with the iphone5?
- Asked by Linda H from Ferriday
- Flag as inappropriate (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
Lightning sync/charge cable, charger, new-style ear buds and nano-sim ejection tool. Oh - and a quick start guide.
- Answered by Darrin S from London
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
You should use the lightning to VGA. This will plug in to your smart board and work instantly. For the projector you just need the projector hooked up to a computer and plug in this same adapter to the computer. This will work perfectly.
- Answered by Molly B from Argyle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which cable would be best to connect my iPad to the smart board and projector?????)
Netflix, Hulu Plus & HBO Go…do they work with this cable?
I've been searching for hours for a definitive answer to this. Picking one of these up at BestBuy and trying for myself would probably be the best way to go. But I'll ask…Does anyone know? Assuming latest updates, does this cable work with Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO2GO?
- Asked by Darin K from Spokane
- Flag as inappropriate (Netflix, Hulu Plus & HBO Go…do they work with this cable?)
Can i use this to mirror to my mac?
Can I use this Lightning to VGA connector to mirror to my mac?
- Asked by Fearghal H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this to mirror to my mac?)
No, this is for outputting VGA from your iPad, not for accepting VGA into the iPad for display.
- Answered by Nam L from Dorchester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the lightning to VGA to make my Ipad Air a second monitor for my PC?)
How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?
I have a pioneer avh-2500bt that is telling me I need VGA adaptor for my iPhone 5..
Although, I'm finding out that it does not support audio transfer. How does the audio work?
- Asked by Karl R from Hobbs
- Flag as inappropriate (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
The lighting to VGA adaptor does not support audio. VGA cables have never supported audio.
- Answered by Sean O from North Haven
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
Of course you can, don't forget to connect your Ipad mini audio output to external audio amplifier.
- Answered by German M from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my iPad mini to my smart board using the lightning to VGA adaptor?)
What about audio?
I assume, with this device, you could output the video via VGA, as stated. However, if you have a movie on your iphone 5, can you simultaneously output audio via the headphone jack on the iphone 5 while this device is still plugged into the Lightning connector?
- Asked by David M from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (What about audio?)
Another option for audio out would be to use Bluetooth.
- Answered by James S from Niceville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What about audio?)
Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?
SlideShark app allows for a "notes view", where I am supposed to be able to see my notes on my ipad, but audience only sees the actual "slide view". I want to know if anybody else has tried this. Does it work?
- Asked by Barbara F from Indianapolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?)
SlideShark gives you the option to view your PowerPoint presentation (including all graphics and animations) in full screen or in a notes view where you can see the slide notes, a roll of upcoming slides and a window showing the slide playing through with all the animations (still controlled by clicks/taps), a bit like presenter view on PowerPoint. When you connect your iPad to a second monitor, the second monitor will only ever show the full screen presentation show, but you have the option on the iPad to have a mirror (full screen) or presenter view. You can't see the SlideShark menu on the second screen either, so you can move between different presentations really easily.
For me, it's a superb app and one of the main reasons for getting an iPad. It works really seamlessly, and you can use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote too, so you don't even need to hold the iPad.
The port next to the VGA port is a lightning port that allows you to charge your device while it is plugged into a VGA output.
- Answered by Patrick R from Quitman
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the slot adjacent to the VGA out on the adapter? Is it for a security tether?)
can you connect a lightning 30 pin adapter to the lightning vga adapter to give video output, analog audio and ipod control (from old system)Best Answer:
I tried this by connecting the 30 pin adaptor to the lightning VGA adaptor, then connecting the video feed to the video in of a TechnoGym treadmill and the 30 pin cable into the designated dock on the machine. The video worked fine and the phone receives charge (from the 30 pin cable). However the gym equipment did not recognise it as a compatible device and would not allow media control or Nike Plus functions. These do work when the 30 pin adaptor is used by itself. It appears the lightning socket on this product does not pass through much more than power (if anything).
- Answered by Ashley A from Evesham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you connect a lightning 30 pin adapter to the lightning vga adapter to give video output, analog audio and ipod control (from old system))
Starting with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, everything is mirrored on the projector or monitor. So if you have the iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5S/5C (which are the only models this adapter is currently supported by) you will see apps, videos, pictures, and even apps that don't necessarily support TV Out.
The iPod touch 5th generation is also supported, which I believe also has the video mirroring feature.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does lightning to vga adapter show all apps ?on a projector or just the main apple and video apps)
Yes it can be used to charge the iOS device while being used. The adapter has an input for a lightning cable, so if you plug in the lightning cable (attached to a charger) to the adapter, the iPhone/iPad/iPod will charge while you are using the VGA adapter.
- Answered by Brian G from Salem
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Lightning to VGA adaptor charge the iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch when being used?)
I am looking to buy " lightning to VGA adaptor" for iphone 5
I have a 8 inch screen in my car that supports video input via hdmi
I want to display google maps on it from iphone 5
My real question is will VGA support mirroring google maps from iphone to that screen ?
- Asked by Gurjant C from Yuba City
- Flag as inappropriate (Mirroring)
If your car display wants "video input via HDMI", you should purchase the "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" (part MD826ZM) instead, as that one provides HDMI out.
- Answered by Christopher S from Hampton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Mirroring)
No. Use Apple’s
• Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader or
• Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
for this task.
- Answered by Stephen W from Nashville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i transfer pictures from my nikon d3100 to my ipad4 using lightning to vga adapter)
Lightning to VGA Adapter allow data transfer using USB Lightning Cable and transfer video at the same time?
If I plug the VGA cable into the TV and USB on the computer, I can transfer data and video at the same time?
- Asked by Douglas E B from Florianópolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Lightning to VGA Adapter allow data transfer using USB Lightning Cable and transfer video at the same time?)