Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?
If I connect the Mac to a thunderbolt equipped hard drive and then connect the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter to the hard drive, is it a security risk?
ie. is the hard drive exposed to internet attacks before they reach the Mac?
- Asked by Gregory A
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?)
Can Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter be downstream connected to any Thunderbolt peripheral so Ethernet is available on connect to Thunderbolt accessory
This would allow a simple dock configuration. Use WiFi while in the field but connect to Thunderbolt Display or peripheral and get direct Ethernet wired connection. This would save the second Thunderbolt port for other hardware connections such as Pro Video edit/control equipment. If such a connection would work with the adapter it would be nice to be able to control it with granularity.
I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?
I understand the speed limitations of ethernet versus Thunderbolt (1GBs vs 10GBs) but my understanding is that the speed that information is acquired/written is based on the speed of the disk itself (i.e. 7200 rpm) or protocol of the drive SATA I/II/II (1.5GBs/3GBs/6GBs).
If I could hook up the NAS drive to Thunderbolt, the performance would be better than my Firewire 800, although marginally, but the price of creating a RAID drive would be fairly inexpensive as diskless NAS is significantly more cost effective than FW800 or Thunderbolt ... (and Thunderbolt only really makes sense with SSD). My real limitation is that I only have USB 2.0 ... or Firewire 800.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
- Asked by Johannes M from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?)
how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?
There are lots of more detailed questions about using this adaptor to connect to other computers and to gaming devices. My question is more basic.
My USB ethernet adaptor works fine on my Macbook Air, but I cannot get the thunderbolt adaptor to work. Thanks.
- Asked by William M from Saint Petersburg
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?)
why is thunderbolt adapter hot?
I use my Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter to connect to the internet. With in 15 minutes, the adapter is noticeably warm. I cannot tie this to any given activity, such as a prolonged download/upload, to video watching, or updates.
- Asked by Courtney N from Santa Clara
- Flag as inappropriate (why is thunderbolt adapter hot?)
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
firewire 800 to to thunderbolt?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?)
To connect imac to local network is gigabit ethernet better than using a thunderbolt
If I have a NAS would i rather use the gigabit ethernet from my new Imac than the thunderboldt with an ethernet adapter, I assume yes
- Asked by Erich H B
- Flag as inappropriate (To connect imac to local network is gigabit ethernet better than using a thunderbolt)
Can I plug in another computer in the thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Ex, can I plug in a Blue Ray player with internet in the adapter?
Use it like an extra internet connection.
- Asked by Miguel R from Orlando
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug in another computer in the thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Ex, can I plug in a Blue Ray player with internet in the adapter?)
Does the Thunderbolt/Gigabit Ethernet Adapter support auto cable detect?
IE, will the adapter sense whether it is connected to a patch cable or a crossover cable, and adjust transmit/receive line assignments as appropriate?
- Asked by John L from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Thunderbolt/Gigabit Ethernet Adapter support auto cable detect?)
Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?
I'm wondering if my Macbook Pro(Late 2012) has the capability, and if so how to adjust the network settings to cater the needs of a Sonos Bridge to emit its own wireless network so I can play my Sonos speakers from a wireless network from a hotel. ( I won't have access to a hardline ethernet port or router ) I'm going on vacation and am hoping to bring my speaker to have some tunes with in Mexico. If my computer is capable of supporting the right internet accessibility to the bridge I will most definitely be buying this thunderbolt to ethernet adapter to connect the Bridge and thus connect all my Sonos speakers. I'm at a loss and not sure how to understand and be sure my network settings can receive a wireless signal and create an output from my computer to the bridge, or if this adapter is only for inputting a hardline ethernet internet cord for my macbook. Boils down to an input/output question with wireless internet network capabilities. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated as my trip is in three weeks time! Thanks again. - Rob
- Asked by Robert W from Tonka Bay
- Flag as inappropriate (Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?)
Is it worth me connecting this adapter to my (unused) thunderbolt port on my current iMac to give me better speeds over my Cat6 Ethernet cable?
Can this be used to connect a Thunderbolt only storage device (i.e. Promise Pegasus R6 18TB) to a Gigabite Ethernet Hub?
Our studio is doing a budget report to see if we can go 100% Mac. Currently we have 2 x 4TB storage servers that we'd like to replace with some of those great Promise storage units like the Pegasus R6 18TB. However those are thunderbolt only units, so we were wondering if the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter could be used to connect it to a network hub?
- Asked by Brandon M from Westland
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect a Thunderbolt only storage device (i.e. Promise Pegasus R6 18TB) to a Gigabite Ethernet Hub?)