Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Does this allow the user to take full advantage of thunderbolt's speed?
- Asked by Steven K from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this allow the user to take full advantage of thunderbolt's speed?)
Can I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to add a 2nd net port to my Mini? I want a dedicated line to a storage server plus independent intranet.
I have a RAID server that provides network storage. The bulk of my big file transfers are to the Mac Mini I'm using as a server. I'd like to keep those transfers from using bandwidth on the rest of my network, and I can live with my other computers accessing the RAID server via the Mini. I'd like the Mini to be able to talk simultaneously on both networks at close to full speed. I've seen other adapters that do this, but they cost hundreds of dollars. Will the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter meet my goal?
Is it worth me connecting this adapter to my (unused) thunderbolt port on my current iMac to give me better speeds over my Cat6 Ethernet cable?
Can Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter be downstream connected to any Thunderbolt peripheral so Ethernet is available on connect to Thunderbolt accessory
This would allow a simple dock configuration. Use WiFi while in the field but connect to Thunderbolt Display or peripheral and get direct Ethernet wired connection. This would save the second Thunderbolt port for other hardware connections such as Pro Video edit/control equipment. If such a connection would work with the adapter it would be nice to be able to control it with granularity.
Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?
Context of question: a hotel room anywhere where wifi is available along with a rj-45 internet source.
Hotel Wifi is unreliable, usually costs extra $$, is slower, and may have to be re-initiated at each connection time, in other words a big hassle; plus, like clockwork, it bogs down at peak use in the time zone you are in.
Users are two Mac Air and iPhone users.
The question is: from the single hotel rj-45 cable how do you hardwire the two Mac and establish a mifi for the two iphones, using existing Apple or Apple-compatible products?
Notes: I see 2 to 1 Cat 6 splitters available; I do not see Thunderbolt splitters; I see Airport Express has two ethernet ports, plus a usb port...
- Asked by Jacques C from Riverside
- Flag as inappropriate (Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?)
I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?
I understand the speed limitations of ethernet versus Thunderbolt (1GBs vs 10GBs) but my understanding is that the speed that information is acquired/written is based on the speed of the disk itself (i.e. 7200 rpm) or protocol of the drive SATA I/II/II (1.5GBs/3GBs/6GBs).
If I could hook up the NAS drive to Thunderbolt, the performance would be better than my Firewire 800, although marginally, but the price of creating a RAID drive would be fairly inexpensive as diskless NAS is significantly more cost effective than FW800 or Thunderbolt ... (and Thunderbolt only really makes sense with SSD). My real limitation is that I only have USB 2.0 ... or Firewire 800.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
- Asked by Johannes M from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?)
why is thunderbolt adapter hot?
I use my Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter to connect to the internet. With in 15 minutes, the adapter is noticeably warm. I cannot tie this to any given activity, such as a prolonged download/upload, to video watching, or updates.
- Asked by Courtney N from Santa Clara
- Flag as inappropriate (why is thunderbolt adapter hot?)
is there a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter available ?
I have an iMac 21' which I brought in late 2013. Is there someway I can use it as a extended display for my non mac laptop using a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter ? Is such a thing available to start with?
- Asked by Vineeth J from Kollam
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a HDMI to Thunderbolt converter available ?)
how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?
There are lots of more detailed questions about using this adaptor to connect to other computers and to gaming devices. My question is more basic.
My USB ethernet adaptor works fine on my Macbook Air, but I cannot get the thunderbolt adaptor to work. Thanks.
- Asked by William M from Saint Petersburg
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?)
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
firewire 800 to to thunderbolt?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- Flag as inappropriate (How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?)
Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?
If I connect the Mac to a thunderbolt equipped hard drive and then connect the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter to the hard drive, is it a security risk?
ie. is the hard drive exposed to internet attacks before they reach the Mac?
- Asked by Gregory A
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?)
Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?
- Asked by Richard G from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?)
Does this adapter work on previous generation thunderbolt macs?
- Asked by Joel A from Virginia
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work on previous generation thunderbolt macs?)
Is it only for MBP Retina or for any regular MBP with the thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Ngoc Son N from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it only for MBP Retina or for any regular MBP with the thunderbolt port?)
Will Windows 7 (bootcamp) recognize a thunderbolt ethernet adapter?
- Asked by Jason R from Brookfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Windows 7 (bootcamp) recognize a thunderbolt ethernet adapter?)
What's the difference between Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet and USB to Ethernet?
Just curious what the difference is between the two adapters and which one I need to buy for a standard network
- Asked by Jarett E from Beavercreek
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the difference between Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet and USB to Ethernet?)
Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5
- Asked by Bernard W from Clinton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5)