Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Does the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter cable work with MacBook Air 11-inch Late 2010 with mini display port (and not thunderbolt)?
- Asked by Barbara S from Kansas City
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter cable work with MacBook Air 11-inch Late 2010 with mini display port (and not thunderbolt)?)
Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?
Context of question: a hotel room anywhere where wifi is available along with a rj-45 internet source.
Hotel Wifi is unreliable, usually costs extra $$, is slower, and may have to be re-initiated at each connection time, in other words a big hassle; plus, like clockwork, it bogs down at peak use in the time zone you are in.
Users are two Mac Air and iPhone users.
The question is: from the single hotel rj-45 cable how do you hardwire the two Mac and establish a mifi for the two iphones, using existing Apple or Apple-compatible products?
Notes: I see 2 to 1 Cat 6 splitters available; I do not see Thunderbolt splitters; I see Airport Express has two ethernet ports, plus a usb port...
- Asked by Jacques C from Riverside
- Flag as inappropriate (Can two mac air be hard wired on a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter?)
Does the Thunderbolt/Gigabit Ethernet Adapter support auto cable detect?
IE, will the adapter sense whether it is connected to a patch cable or a crossover cable, and adjust transmit/receive line assignments as appropriate?
- Asked by John L from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Thunderbolt/Gigabit Ethernet Adapter support auto cable detect?)
Can Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter be downstream connected to any Thunderbolt peripheral so Ethernet is available on connect to Thunderbolt accessory
This would allow a simple dock configuration. Use WiFi while in the field but connect to Thunderbolt Display or peripheral and get direct Ethernet wired connection. This would save the second Thunderbolt port for other hardware connections such as Pro Video edit/control equipment. If such a connection would work with the adapter it would be nice to be able to control it with granularity.
What's the difference between Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet and USB to Ethernet?
Just curious what the difference is between the two adapters and which one I need to buy for a standard network
- Asked by Jarett E from Beavercreek
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the difference between Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet and USB to Ethernet?)
Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?
- Asked by Richard G from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter handle jumbo frames?)
Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5
- Asked by Bernard W from Clinton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5)
Can I use Thunderbolt to Gigabit ethernet adapter for backup in my time capsule?
- Asked by Sebastiano L from Bergamo
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Thunderbolt to Gigabit ethernet adapter for backup in my time capsule?)
Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?
I'm wondering if my Macbook Pro(Late 2012) has the capability, and if so how to adjust the network settings to cater the needs of a Sonos Bridge to emit its own wireless network so I can play my Sonos speakers from a wireless network from a hotel. ( I won't have access to a hardline ethernet port or router ) I'm going on vacation and am hoping to bring my speaker to have some tunes with in Mexico. If my computer is capable of supporting the right internet accessibility to the bridge I will most definitely be buying this thunderbolt to ethernet adapter to connect the Bridge and thus connect all my Sonos speakers. I'm at a loss and not sure how to understand and be sure my network settings can receive a wireless signal and create an output from my computer to the bridge, or if this adapter is only for inputting a hardline ethernet internet cord for my macbook. Boils down to an input/output question with wireless internet network capabilities. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated as my trip is in three weeks time! Thanks again. - Rob
- Asked by Robert W from Tonka Bay
- Flag as inappropriate (Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?)
how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?
There are lots of more detailed questions about using this adaptor to connect to other computers and to gaming devices. My question is more basic.
My USB ethernet adaptor works fine on my Macbook Air, but I cannot get the thunderbolt adaptor to work. Thanks.
- Asked by William M from Saint Petersburg
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect to the internet with a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor?)
Does the new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter support Wake-on-LAN?
And if so does it matter if the computer's just asleep or fully powered off?
- Asked by Blake C from Port Huron
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter support Wake-on-LAN?)
To connect imac to local network is gigabit ethernet better than using a thunderbolt
If I have a NAS would i rather use the gigabit ethernet from my new Imac than the thunderboldt with an ethernet adapter, I assume yes
- Asked by Erich H B
- Flag as inappropriate (To connect imac to local network is gigabit ethernet better than using a thunderbolt)
Is it worth me connecting this adapter to my (unused) thunderbolt port on my current iMac to give me better speeds over my Cat6 Ethernet cable?
Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?
I have a MacBook Air and the USB ethernet adapter. I'm getting the new Macbook Pro with Retina display. So would this be a good idea to buy this adapter to Thunderbolt instead of using the the USB adapter? Would I get a better connecting? Would I need a special internet connection or will any due?
- Asked by Chase H from Saint Marys
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?)
Can I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to add a 2nd net port to my Mini? I want a dedicated line to a storage server plus independent intranet.
I have a RAID server that provides network storage. The bulk of my big file transfers are to the Mac Mini I'm using as a server. I'd like to keep those transfers from using bandwidth on the rest of my network, and I can live with my other computers accessing the RAID server via the Mini. I'd like the Mini to be able to talk simultaneously on both networks at close to full speed. I've seen other adapters that do this, but they cost hundreds of dollars. Will the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter meet my goal?
why is thunderbolt adapter hot?
I use my Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter to connect to the internet. With in 15 minutes, the adapter is noticeably warm. I cannot tie this to any given activity, such as a prolonged download/upload, to video watching, or updates.
- Asked by Courtney N from Santa Clara
- Flag as inappropriate (why is thunderbolt adapter hot?)