Can I connect my MacBook Pro to 2 external monitors?
I want to use the 2 monitors only, not the MBP's monitor.
I want to run 2 separate programs on 2 separate screens.
- Asked by Joseph W from Billingham
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my MacBook Pro to 2 external monitors?)
4 Answers from the Community
A note regarding the 13" MacBook Pro: You CAN use two Thunderbolt displays with the 13", same as the 15" and 17". The difference is that if you connect a second Thunderbolt display to the 13" then the internal display is automagically deactivated. The 15" and 17" will drive all three displays with no trouble.
- Answered by Matthew S from Trumbull
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I hate to go against someone else's answer, but I have a 13" MacBook Pro (early 2011), and it does have Thunderbolt. All 2011 and later MacBook Pro's have Thunderbolt and all 2011 and later MacBook Air's have thunderbolt. If you have Thunderbolt, you can daisy chain you monitors together, like mentioned in the other answer. The Apple Thunderbolt Display is good for this, although a bit pricy ($999).
- Answered by Teagan G from Pender Island
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have a macbook pro retina, and I connect it to two external displays (the older style 30" cinema displays). I do that by using external thunderbolt to dual link DVI converters (apple sells these) and plugging these converters into the two thunderbolt ports on the mac. This has its limitations (can't plug any other thunderbolt devices in), but it works for my situation. I also use a couple of external USB power adapters to supply power to the converters so they don't use up my only two USB ports on my computer. Thirdly, I found it useful to have USB extension cables for the power to the converters so they aren't needing to be so close to the USB/thunderbolt "Y" portion of the converter. This gives me three displays. And they play well most of the time with my wacom tablet which helps a lot.
- Answered by Fred R from San Leandro
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
If you have a 13 inch model, no. If you have a 15 or 17 inch model from 2011 which has Thunderbolt then you can connect to two thunderbolt monitors by daisy chaining them together.
- Answered by Brett M from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
How do I connect macbook or a macbook pro to 2 external monitors?
- Asked by Kevin W from Powell
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect macbook or a macbook pro to 2 external monitors?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
I am looking for a Docking station for my MacBook Pro. I need to connect 2 external monitors, ethernet cable and keyboard. Any recommendation?
- Asked by Emilio G from Ponte Vedra
- Flag as inappropriate (I am looking for a Docking station for my MacBook Pro. I need to connect 2 external monitors, ethernet cable and keyboard. Any recommendation?)
- Asked about: Mac
Which cable do I need to connect mid 2014 macbook pro to dell monitor
- Asked by Marie C from Opelousas
- Flag as inappropriate (Which cable do I need to connect mid 2014 macbook pro to dell monitor)
- Asked about: Mac