In case of a power outage will the WeMo keep the last state it was in. I.E if it was on will it stay on after the power outage is over.
I want to use it to be a remote reset for my IT gear when I am away from home.
- Asked by Charlie B from Raleigh
- Flag as inappropriate (In case of a power outage will the WeMo keep the last state it was in. I.E if it was on will it stay on after the power outage is over.)
6 Answers from the Community
It will not keep the last state. WeMo will revert to OFF.
- Answered by Erol F from Sudbury
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes it does~ however it need a minute to reboot and reconnect to Internet
- Answered by Xiao Tong H from Coquitlam
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Very smart Charlie... I will look to do the same!!! I'm assuming it will maintain the last state, or at least as long as it can. If power goes out, unless you have a UPS feeding power to it, it's going to shut-off. Now if you meant regarding settings.... well that will be up to your system. Hope that answers your question.
- Answered by Lester R from Mississauga
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
I found a solution for this. Connect your WeMo to IFTTT, and then set up an IFTTT rule for that specific switch, essentially:
(1) If LivingRoom1 is OFF.
(2) Turn LivingRoom1 ON.
If you manually turn off that switch, it will come back on within 5 seconds by IFTTT.
If you unplug the switch (simulate a power failure) then plug it back in, it will take up to 3-5 minutes for the switch to boot up, connect to wifi, and to be registered with IFTTT. As has been stated elsewhere, the switch comes back after a power failure in the OFF state. Once IFTTT sees that the switch is OFF, it turns it back ON. It works beautifully, it brought tears to my eyes.
It works perfectly to keep my home Mac Mini turned on!
- Answered by Ambar P from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
We just bought one of these (August 2014) and the WeMo does NOT keep the last power state. Always comes back on OFF. That bites. We were going to use the WeMo for a critical HVAC device and assumed that in the case of a power outage it would come automatically back to life.
Bad solution #1: Use the remote app thru WIFI to manually turn on the WeMo. Means you have to keep checking all night long until the power outage ends... then manually turn on the WeMo. Yuck.
Bad solution #2: Setup a bunch of Rules to turn ON the WeMo at various times throughout the day Means that if you setup 24 rules, one per hour of the day, when the power outage ends... you may end up waiting for up to an hour for ON to WeMo. I wonder how many Rules we can set up in a WeMo. One per minute would be 60*24 = 1400 rules. Yuck.
BEST solution would be, fix the FIRMWARE, have the WeMo restore the last power state.
- Answered by John R from Berkeley Heights
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
I know this is a while since the original post, but for people still wanting an answer to this question, I can confirm when I use the Wemo it remains in OFF state after a power outage. It does however still connect to Wifi, therefore you are able to switch on remotely.
My circumstance: I setup a rule to switch on an item at 9:30pm every night, there are no Off rules, just an on rule. When I go to bed I switch the Wemo off at the power supply (please don't ask why, I can't be bothered to explain), then in the morning I switch the power supply back on. The Wemo does not switch the item on, it remains in an Off state until that evening when it switches on at 9:30pm automatically again using the daily On rule.
Hope that clears this up.
- Answered by Paul T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Will WeMo light switch work after power outage while we are away from home?
- Asked by Pamela T from South Haven
- Flag as inappropriate (Will WeMo light switch work after power outage while we are away from home?)
- Asked about: Belkin WeMo Light Switch
How many watts does it use?
- Asked by Donald D from Spokane
- Flag as inappropriate (How many watts does it use?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
No answers yet
I would like to know what the power draw is for an iMac 27", upgraded with 32GB ram, 3TB Fussion drive, and 2GB Video card. Looking for UPS options.
- Asked by Trevor W from St. Johns
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to know what the power draw is for an iMac 27", upgraded with 32GB ram, 3TB Fussion drive, and 2GB Video card. Looking for UPS options.)
- Asked about: Mac