- Proprietary TrueSpace® surround digital processing circuitry
- Digital 5.1 audio playback
- USB simplicity
- Preassembled speakers/stands
- Compact Acoustimass module
- Control pod
- Magnetically shielded speakers
- Patented integrated signal processing
- Compression circuitry
- Active equalization
- Dual inputs
What's in the Box?
- Acoustimass module
- Satellite speakers with stands
- Control pod
- Power cord, USB cable
- Connections: USB
- Height: Acoustimass module: 8.68 in./21.91 cm; Satellite speakers: 8.9 in./22.5 cm; Control pod: 1.13 in./2.86 cm
- Width: Acoustimass module: 7.13 in./18.1 cm; Satellite speakers: 5.8 in./14.7 cm; Control pod: 2.5 in./6.35 cm
- Depth: Acoustimass module: 14.0 in./35.56 cm; Satellite speakers: 3.8 in./9.7 cm
- Weight: Acoustimass module: 15.4 lb./6.99 kg; Satellite speakers: 1.9 lb./0.9 kg
- UPC or EAN No.: 17817393270
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
- *For optimum performance, we recommend Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later.; Apple is an authorized Bose dealer.; Visit the following url to learn more and for verification: http://www.bose.com/apple
Ratings & Reviews
Not what I hoped for
When I first set this system up on my new MacPro, I was blown away; clear, clean strong, truly remarkable, especially for watching When I first set this system up on my new MacPro, I was blown away; clear, clean strong, truly remarkable, especially for watching movies. Now, a week later, I've discovered a deficiency that really disappoints me. Bose instructions suggest that you should turn off your equalizer and let the music sound the way the musicians intended it. If you follow that advice, you're going to run into a lot of recordings that sound like the vocal track is being projected from a distant coal mine. You can compensate fairly well with the iTunes equalizer but the fact is that my old $120 sound system did a better job with at last 10% of what I play. Notable victims include David Bowie (try Modern Love), John Mellencamp, and Journey, but you'll notice the effect to some degree with an unfortunately broad spectrum of artists. Overall, the sound quality is still so good that I rate the product at 4 stars, but you would be well advised to test the system with a representative selection of your favorite music before you sink $400 into it. …
- Written by Peter G from San Clemente
924 of 1188 people found this useful
As an audiophile I sample lots of speakers systems whether they are for home theatre, two channel listening, or computer speakers. As an audiophile I sample lots of speakers systems whether they are for home theatre, two channel listening, or computer speakers. In all catagories Bose speakers have been over priced for their performance. Ever since Bose came out with their 901 line, Bose has presented themselves as the Ferrari of home audio. But sadly the rest of their products just don't live up to the 901's quality, and these are no difference. If these speakers cost 200 dollars less they would be a good system, but for the price tag, well they just don't perform.
-They do a pretty decent job reproducing high frequencies
- For a computer sub it hits the lows nicely.
-The touch pad is a neat feature that I would like ot see on other models
-as i have stated many times its over priced
-I have found that the mids are lacking definition.
-The sub is lacking character, only giving out thumps. …
- Written by Cody S
1019 of 1394 people found this useful
Bose Companion 5 Speakers
I must start by saying that these are a truly stunning set of speakers! They look amazing and the sound that they produce is prett I must start by saying that these are a truly stunning set of speakers! They look amazing and the sound that they produce is pretty darn brilliant!
If you know about the Bose product range, they are in effect a small version of the 3-2-1 set. Although they use a different technology to the 3-2-1 set, they produce the same sort of effect for pc users. They honestly produce surround like sound from 2.1 speakers, which for hard-core PC & Mac users is ideal.
These are a set of speakers that I think everyone will be jealous of, if you buy them. I know I would be! …
- Written by Thomas H from Witney
352 of 460 people found this useful
AMAZING SPEAKERS!!!! I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE
These speakers are so good that I am taking the time to write a review.
They are amazing I would recommend to anyone, they have a These speakers are so good that I am taking the time to write a review.
They are amazing I would recommend to anyone, they have an amazing rich sound and have an amazing base. The only issue is the price but for the sound it gives I think its totally worth it! …
- Written by Adrian G from San Antonio
Sound and feel like $100 speakers
Doesn't sound like 5.1 speakers, just plain stereo. Sound is OK but was expecting much better sound from these $400 speakers. My c Doesn't sound like 5.1 speakers, just plain stereo. Sound is OK but was expecting much better sound from these $400 speakers. My cheap Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers I bought 12 years ago sound much better, I guess because there are actually 5.1 pieces to the system. Volume control pod stopped working after a few months (would randomly switch to mute or system would not be detected by my iMac altogether). Brought my system to a Bose repair shop. Paid $75 to have the pod replaced. Was happy about the replacement because the plastic of the pod was poor quality and the rubber part had gotten very sticky (there are similar reports on the Internet). But few months later the volume control on the pod stopped working (mute still works OK) and the rubber is very sticky already. …
- Written by Samuel G from Honolulu
0 of 1 people found this useful
Well worth the money!
I am very happy with these speakers. There is magic here because all music types play well - rock rocks, classical is classic and I am very happy with these speakers. There is magic here because all music types play well - rock rocks, classical is classic and folk brings the pie. The bass unit sits on the floor and the amount of sound down there is minimal but the effect at the computer is delightful from the hardest rock bass to the pulsating bass viols in a Mozart concerto. Another surprise is the depth and reach of the sound beyond the computer. The sound is the best at the computer but barely diminishes throughout the room, showing the full power pushing these speakers. The only caveat to my praise is that these are computer speakers but they are darn fine ones. One warning - follow the setup directions - turn off the iTunes equalizer! You can experiment later, but the equalizer can ruin the sound quality. …
- Written by Robert A from kelso
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
how much total watts on both speakers
- Asked by Giovanni N from Pearland
- Answered by Miguel T from Providence
i was wondering if this product is compatable with 220Volts for international use?
- Asked by Pete R
yes, i am using it on 220 V but you need to check in for which country are you looking for. I bought yes, i am using it on 220 V but you need to check in for which country are you looking for. I bought it in India. There may be several versions available depending upon the country. …
- Answered by Gaurav K
can this sound system can be connected to your tv
- Asked by Uveerajsingh J
I own this set of speakers. The only way you can connect the Bose Companion 5 (BC5) is via the 3.5m I own this set of speakers. The only way you can connect the Bose Companion 5 (BC5) is via the 3.5mm mini jack. Most televisions do not have the capability of passing sound via their USB ports (if they even have one).
What I did is find an RCA to Mini Jack converter cable, this will allow you to plug into your audio out on your television and connect directly to your BC5. (Tricky part is that you still need to adjust the sound via the BCA dial and not the TV, unless your television doesn't do a pre out RCA)
If your television only has optical audio out (toslink), then the passthrough gets a bit more tricky. You will need the following:
1. A Toslink cable to connect from your TV to a converter (mentioned in #2)
2. A Toslink to Coax (RCA) converter. Easily purchased online or at an electronics store i.e. Radioshack.
3. Finally you will need an RCA to to Mini Jack converter cable.
For this you connect the Toslink (optical audio) cable from the TV to the Converter, and then using the RCA to Minijack connect the Converter to the BC5. Again the tricky part is that you still need to adjust the sound via the BCA dial and not the TV) …
- Answered by Miguel S from Phoenix