LaCie’s Rugged external hard drive now offers lightning-fast speeds of USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt and full compatibility with USB 2.0. Its shock-proof design protects the device from accidental drops. With an integrated Thunderbolt cable and universal compatibility, this external drive is robust and easy to use. Whether the goal is super speed or complete compatibility, the Rugged Thunderbolt has everything users need.
The 1TB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Hard Drive delivers speeds up to 110 MB/s. The 2TB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Hard Drive delivers speeds up to 122 MB/s.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 transfer speeds
- Speeds up to 122 MB/s
- Drop-resistant rugged design
- Time Machine compatible
- AES 256-bit encryption protection
Did you notice?This drive is MIL-compliant for superior data protection from accidental drops.
Apple Recommends ForKeeping the valuable data on your Mac safe wherever your travel - no matter how difficult the conditions.
What's in the Box?
- LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series hard drive
- USB 3.0 cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Quick install guide
- Height: 2.4 in./6.1 cm
- Width: 8.9 in./22.61 cm
- Weight: 12.35 oz./350 g
- Length: 14 in./35.56 cm
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000489
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053010256
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
LaCie 2TB Rugged Thunderbolt keeps ejecting
Well this is my second one. I thought I might have gotten a bad one at first and swapped it out, but this one is constantly ejecti Well this is my second one. I thought I might have gotten a bad one at first and swapped it out, but this one is constantly ejecting while working in Premier. I'm using a 17-inch MacBookPro and I really wanted it for the speed and the 2TB, but I can't make it work. It's going back and I should have stayed with G-Drives. My 750G goes everywhere with me in my laptop bag for years. …
- Written by Tolbert P from Coppell
27 of 34 people found this useful
I had to return mine. The Thunderbolt connection kept disconnecting on me.
- Written by HENRY SENE Y from Long Island City
17 of 20 people found this useful
Gets super hot and disconnects.
Just copying files to it...
- Written by Peter R from VÄSTERÅS
18 of 23 people found this useful
DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE !!!
I would give minus 5 stars. Horrible drive, ejecting, slow, dying after 3 hours of use.
DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK.
- Written by Dragomir V from PORTLAND
2 of 2 people found this useful
Thunderbolt crapped out within an hour
Brand new Macbook pro and LaCie drive bought from the apple store .... I'm taking it back tomorrow. Listen to the other reviewers Brand new Macbook pro and LaCie drive bought from the apple store .... I'm taking it back tomorrow. Listen to the other reviewers ... This product isnt ready for prime time. I've had many lacie products in the past and blindly believed this would be just as good. Boy was I wrong !! …
- Written by MARTIN B from Kansas City
5 of 6 people found this useful
So far--working great!
This is my first LaCie, but I have had at least half a dozen similar hard drives (of various sizes and makes) in my possession. Co This is my first LaCie, but I have had at least half a dozen similar hard drives (of various sizes and makes) in my possession. Compared to the others, I think this drive works really well on my 2010 MacBook Pro. In fact I was going to write a good review when I realized that others have had bad experiences with the drive. I find that this drive
1. Is fast (does not take forever to mount);
2. Stays cool--maybe I am lucky with this one, this one does not get hot. Yes, it does warm up. I suppose if this was my first drive, I might worry too. But compared to my other drives (which can get hot to the touch and make noises), this drive seems to remain incredibly cool to me.
3. Is nicely "cushioned". I have never had a drive that has "bumpers", but I really like the fact that this drive makes no noise because of the soft orange bumpers.
However, I do not use the software that comes with the drive--deleted it all, though I have kept the partition. AND: I don't use the Thunderbolt connection (have none on my MacBook Pro), but use the USB 2.0 exclusively. Either of the two may make a difference. …
- Written by Y L
4 of 4 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
What is the rpm on this product? Is it 7200rpm?
- Asked by Belinda R from Bundaberg
It's a 5400 RPM laptop drive. They make a version with very fast SSD, but no 7200rpm.
- Answered by Aaron R from Phoenix
I have a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) can I connect and what date transfer speeds will I get?
- Asked by Diana T
can i plug my iphone 5s into it
- Asked by Patrick V from Roaring Spring
Unfortunately not, because the Hard Drive requires either a Thunderbolt or a USB 3.0 port to be plug Unfortunately not, because the Hard Drive requires either a Thunderbolt or a USB 3.0 port to be plugged into, which the iPhone 5S does not have. Hope that helps. …
- Answered by John S from Menora
Does this product come with a Thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Peter C from Westleigh
Yes, it is built into the drive and wraps around the drive for easy storage.
- Answered by Chris G from Toronto