G-Technology's G-RAID Studio is a high-performance Thunderbolt 2 storage system with hardware RAID and two removable 7200 rpm hard drives. Configurable in RAID 0, RAID 1 or JBOD, G-RAID Studio offers transfer rates up to 360 MB/s to easily support 2K and compressed 4K video workflows. Which means you save time when working on demanding video- and photo-editing projects.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
With Thunderbolt 2 now built into the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina display, you can connect up to three 4K displays at once. Thunderbolt 2 gives you up to 20 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch. Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- 360 MB/s sustained transfer rates
- Thunderbolt 2 interface technology
- Dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy-chaining
- Enterprise-class hard drives for maximum reliability
- Supports multistream HD, 2K and compressed 4K workflows
- Hardware RAID, RAID 0 (Performance), User selectable RAID 1 (Protected) and JBOD
- Removable high-performance 7200 rpm drives
Did you notice?Transfer rates up to 360 Mb/s easily support 2K and compressed 4K workflows.
Apple Recommends ForHandling the most demanding video- and photo-editing projects alongside your Mac.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-RAID Studio Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive System
- Thunderbolt cable
- Power cable
- AC power adaptor
- Quick-start guide
- Other Features: RAID support, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 2
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 21.31 cm/8.39 in.
- Width: 10.9 cm/4.29 in.
- Weight: 2.73 kg
- Length: 18.11 cm/7.13 in.
- Mac OS X v10.9 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G03366
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487195163
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
After reading everything I could about this drive, I was very concerned about the described noise from the fan and head chatter. After reading everything I could about this drive, I was very concerned about the described noise from the fan and head chatter. I almost picked a different product because of it. Turns out, it was really nothing to be concerned about. Just finished copying over a 780 GB Final Cut library, and although you can certainly hear the fan, there was hardly any head chatter. I'm using it mirrored in RAID 1 Thunderbolt (I don't have a Thunderbolt 2 port) and it still flies. So far, half a day in, I'm very happy with this drive. Don't let the forum discussions about noise scare you away. Also, ordering on-line with Apple was a breeze - as always. Came a day early as well. …
- Written by Steve P from Ajax
Love this drive.
I've been using G-technology drives for years. When I was in film school I first tried Maxtor and then LaCie. Both were complete j I've been using G-technology drives for years. When I was in film school I first tried Maxtor and then LaCie. Both were complete junk. A teacher told me about g-technology drives, and I've never looked back. This newest addition to their family has been an excellent purchase. I've had zero problems with it, and love the Thunderbolt connectivity. I can edit HD footage with my Macbook Pro without breaking a sweat. …
- Written by kyler B from santa monica
8 of 8 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I use a thunderbolt 2 drive on my 21" imac thunderbolt connection . Bought my imac July 2013
- Asked by Ralph W
Yes, you can use this with any Mac with a Thunderbolt connection. If you connected this Thunderbol Yes, you can use this with any Mac with a Thunderbolt connection. If you connected this Thunderbolt 2 drive to a mac with an original Thunderbolt port (v1) then you'll simply be limited by the slowest device in the chain and won't get the full speed that thunderbolt 2 offers. The connections are exactly the same so you won't need to change connections …
- Answered by Daniel O
how loud is this? Is there a fan?
- Asked by James W from New York
I've been using G-Tech drives in various capacities for some time. This is the noisiest G-Tech drive I've been using G-Tech drives in various capacities for some time. This is the noisiest G-Tech drive I've owned. The fan, which comes on infrequently isn't the issue - it's the head/platter chatter, which is noticeable and distracting. Otherwise, of course, it's blazingly fast and makes video editing in FCP a real-time pleasure on a 5K 27" iMac.
- Answered by Maarten H from Toronto
Can I use this g-tech g-raid external drive with my Mac pro bought in 2011? With Mavericks OS?
- Asked by Holly I. C from Rutherford
Does 6TB G-Raid take up both ports or just one?
- Asked by Michael R from Rancho Palos Verdes
It has two 3TB HGST HUS724030ALE640 drives built in, so the answer is no. 6TB is for the RAID 0 conf It has two 3TB HGST HUS724030ALE640 drives built in, so the answer is no. 6TB is for the RAID 0 configuration. …
- Answered by Patrick L