The G-Technology G-Drive Mobile Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 Hard Drive is a portable external storage device for laptop users featuring ultra-fast Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interfaces. Compatible with Time Machine, G-Technology G-Drive Mobile features 1TB capacity and a 7200 RPM hard drive for quickly backing up digital video, photos, music and documents. The device is bus-powered, so there's no need to carry around an external AC power supply.
- Transfer rates up to 136 MB/s
- Storage capacities up to 1 TB
- Stylish aluminium enclosure
- Bus-powered via Thunderbolt or USB
- Formatted for Mac and easily reformatted for Windows
- Time Machine compatible
Did you notice?The device is bus-powered, so there's no need to carry around an external AC power supply.
Apple Recommends ForBacking up digital video, photos, music and documents on your laptop.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-Drive Mobile Thunderbolt USB 3.0 Hard Drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- USB 3.0 cable
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered, External power supply
- Height: 1.9 cm/0.71 in.
- Width: 8.3 cm/3.27 in.
- Weight: 294 g
- Length: 12.7 cm/5 in.
- OS 10.7 or later
- Windows 8, 7 and Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G03040
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487193503
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Very fast little drive. I just wish G-Technology offered an SSD version!
Indeed as the other reviewer points out, the G-Drive Mobile has an elegant and very minimalistic design. It's bus powered which re Indeed as the other reviewer points out, the G-Drive Mobile has an elegant and very minimalistic design. It's bus powered which reduces cable clutter, is fanless so noise is very minimal, and it uses Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 so it's very fast. My current setup has all USB ports on my iMac being used up with one unused Thunderbolt port left, so this drive was perfect for me. I was happy to finally see a respectable Mac drive manufacturer make a bus powered Thunderbolt drive.
The only thing I really wish is for G-Technology to also offer an SSD version of this drive. However anyone looking for mass storage will love this drive. …
- Written by Charlemagne D from Pittsburg
58 of 71 people found this useful
Yes! I like this
This is a super fast hard drive both thunderbolt and usb 3.0, I really recommend more than the Buffalo. Elegant design.
- Written by Wilkins C from New York
46 of 57 people found this useful
Better than hoped for
I used the Thunderbolt cable, not the USB-3 cable.
It performs better than I had hoped for on my 2012 13" MacBook Air -2 GHz i7 I used the Thunderbolt cable, not the USB-3 cable.
It performs better than I had hoped for on my 2012 13" MacBook Air -2 GHz i7 processor, 8 GB memory, 256 GB Flash drive. It is silent and fast beyond expectations. As a backup drive (not Time Machine), no setup is required -- installation is instantaneous. Next week, I will try installing another identical G-Tech drive for Time Machine purposes on a 2014 21.5" iMac (also 256 Flash drive) being delivered to me.
I bought the G-Tech drive at an Apple Store. A salesperson told me that G-Tech drives generally are for business, and that this drive is a high-end consumer product. …
- Written by Stephen B from CLARK
11 of 13 people found this useful
Better Back it Up!!! NOT GOOD!!!!
Bought it in December, in March - IT JUST STOPPED WORKING. Took it apart (could care less about the warranty I wanted my informat Bought it in December, in March - IT JUST STOPPED WORKING. Took it apart (could care less about the warranty I wanted my information) and could not get the drive to work with any connection. Had backed it up three months before, but still it is only four months old. My next stop is a profession service taking it apart in a clean room and seeing what they can get. The internal drive was a no-name drive the first tech never heard of. DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!!!! …
- Written by Julius G from Simi Valley
2 of 2 people found this useful
Just bought this drive a couple of days ago. So far so good. Performance is great. I have windows 8.1 running on it for my mac and Just bought this drive a couple of days ago. So far so good. Performance is great. I have windows 8.1 running on it for my mac and it's fantastic. Just wish there was an SSD version. Only thing is that it gets pretty warm when in use. I was actually surprised by how hot it got. I have a couple of other portable USB 3.0 drives and they run drastically cooler. Other than that, its great. Super nice. Looks good next to my 13 inch retina pro. …
- Written by Juan M from Lethbridge
2 of 2 people found this useful
Bad Luck or ?
Purchased on with new MBP 3" Retina. First one worked with Thunderbolt but not USB. Exchanged at Apple Store - No issue. Second Purchased on with new MBP 3" Retina. First one worked with Thunderbolt but not USB. Exchanged at Apple Store - No issue. Second one worked for 30 minutes then nothing. …
- Written by DOUGLAS S from Pipe Creek
9 of 14 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
What type of thunderbolt is it? 2.0
- Asked by Ivy W from Bonita Springs
No, just Thunderbolt 1. The transfer speeds don't even reach USB 3 speeds (half of Thunderbolt 1) so No, just Thunderbolt 1. The transfer speeds don't even reach USB 3 speeds (half of Thunderbolt 1) so having Thunderbolt 2 would be pointless. …
- Answered by Andrew T from Sydney
Does it work with ipad air? Can I back up my photo album? Tks
- Asked by Graziano I from Trieste
can I use thnderbolt to Firewire cable on this drive to move data to a firewire device.
- Asked by Kenneth D from Saint Charles