G-Technology's G-DRIVE mobile USB 3.0 hard drive is easy to set up and carry anywhere for storing your most important documents, MP3s, digital video, and photo files. Inside its sleek, beveled aluminum case is a high-performance 7200 RPM hard drive with impressive USB 3.0 connectivity. It's also bus powered, so there’s no need to carry an external AC power supply.
- High-speed USB 3.0 connectivity
- 7200 RPM hard drive delivers impressive performance
- Up to 136 MB/sec transfer rates
- Thin, beveled aluminum case makes for easy portability
- 1TB storage handles videos, photos, documents, and music
- Bus-powered design eliminates the need for a separate power connection
- Plug-and-play Mac OS setup and easily reformatted for Windows
- Time Machine compatible
Did you notice?Delivers 7200-RPM performance along with USB 3.0 connectivity.
Apple Recommends ForHandy, bus-powered storage for taking along your essential files wherever you go.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile USB hard drive
- USB 3.0 cable (compatible with USB 2.0)
- Quick start guide
- Other Features: Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 0.51 in./1.3 cm
- Width: 5.08 in./12.9 cm
- Weight: 6.24 oz./176.91 g
- Length: 3.23 in./8.2 cm
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later
- Windows 8/7/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02874
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487193152
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Broken in less than 3 months
Purchased this drive less than three months ago, the USB connection snapped off inside the drive and the data can no longer be acc Purchased this drive less than three months ago, the USB connection snapped off inside the drive and the data can no longer be accessed. Now have an expensive paperweight full of my lost data. …
- Written by Jan C from New York
88 of 125 people found this useful
Been using this thing for months now - no issues and runs flawlessly! Definitely recommend G-Tech to anyone!
- Written by Jonathan M from San Ramon
25 of 29 people found this useful
Works for me
I have had great results from this drive, 110mb/s read 100 write on a MBPr 2013. Considering I was getting 35 mb/s on my internal I have had great results from this drive, 110mb/s read 100 write on a MBPr 2013. Considering I was getting 35 mb/s on my internal 5400rpm drive on my old MBP this seems like a great step forward. Sure - a thunderbolt is faster still, but balance cost over performance for this year and it makes a great companion for any SSD macbook. I use this for all files, photos and music, keep my Macbook for apps only and a few files which I currently work on, and back up both this and my mac on 1 desktop G-drive (thundebolt to firewire 800). So if this does break I can restore it off time machine. …
- Written by Adam C from Malmesbury
13 of 14 people found this useful
I've had this drive as my Time Machine back-up drive for my Macbook Air since last summer. It's very fast, I've had no problems a I've had this drive as my Time Machine back-up drive for my Macbook Air since last summer. It's very fast, I've had no problems at all. It worked perfectly so far. If you're going to get a USB 3 external drive, I strongly suggest this one. …
- Written by B Carson T from Sarasota
Impressed with the incredible speed
I was tossing between a 2 TB drive with Thunderbolt cable + USB 3.0 options and one just with USB 3.0 but 7200 RPM. I decided on t I was tossing between a 2 TB drive with Thunderbolt cable + USB 3.0 options and one just with USB 3.0 but 7200 RPM. I decided on the G-Technology drive but had to settle with 1 TB space. I bought another 2 TB USB drive 5400 RPM earlier from another manufacturer but was annoyed with the time taken for backing up my Mac Pro data.
With this 1 TB G-Tech 7200 RPM drive, I was able to do my first Mac clone of 220 GB in about 1 hour 45 minutes time!. As I write this review an update of the existing clone of 60GB was done in 20 minutes!
Not much of noise or heat generated in the process for the impressive speeds. I am giving it 4 stars just because I was unable to get the 2TB option with 7200 RPM. …
- Written by Vaidyanathan N from Singapore
Thin and fast, so far so good.
I've only had the drive a short time, but have used many other G-Technology products and other external hard drives. This seems on I've only had the drive a short time, but have used many other G-Technology products and other external hard drives. This seems one of the nicest, smallest, fastest portable drives I've used. Read and Write speeds top out at about 120MB/sec on my Retina MBP 13", somewhat faster than my 1+ year-old G-Drive EV 1TB 7200.
G-Tech's warranty is 3 years, and I've had to use it once. I sent back for repair a G-SAFE (no longer made) enclosure for a defective cooling fan. They fixed it with reasonable speed, and I still use it as a long term backup at work, it's 6 years old now.
I hope the Mobile drive holds up well, but being portable it's subject to a lot more vibration and shocks in my travel bag, so I don't expect it to last forever. Right now I'm using it as a Time Machine backup and it's very good at that. …
- Written by Steven K from Boston
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
I would like to use it with both a Macbook Pro and a Windows computer, do I need special drivers to do so?
- Asked by Rafael U from Majadahonda
Will this work with an iPad mini?
- Asked by Richard T
- Answered by Hugh C
is it compatible with time machine?
- Asked by Lucy D
Yes it is.
- Answered by Emma C
is the G-Tech G-Drive mobile easily compatible with pcs? can you switch from Mac to PC?
- Asked by Sara F from Emerson