The WD My Passport for Mac portable hard drive includes super-fast USB 3.0 connectivity for truly impressive transfer rates. It makes the perfect travel companion for your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
Ultra-fast transfer rates
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, My Passport for Mac lets you access and save files in blazing speed. Get transfer times up to three times faster than with USB 2.0.*
Sleek, compact design
This compact enclosure offers plenty of storage, making it the ideal companion for the graphic professional, student or road-warrior.
WD Security and WD Drive Utilities
Set password protection and hardware encryption for your drive to protect your files from unauthorised use or access. Register your drive, set drive timer, run diagnostics and more using the WD Drive Utilities.
Formatted for Mac
My Passport for Mac is HFS+ journaled so it works right out of the box with your MacBook. It is also compatible with Time Machine so you can quickly back up your files.
WD quality inside and out
WD builds the drive inside with demanding requirements for durability, shock tolerance and long-term reliability. Then the drive is surrounded with a durable enclosure designed for style and protection.
- Transferring files in blazing-fast speed with USB 3.0
- Connect to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices
- Back up your files with Time Machine
- Secure your files from unauthorised access with password protection and hardware encryption
Did you notice?Connect to a USB 3.0 port and transfer a full-length HD movie in under five minutes.
Apple Recommends ForTaking your photos, movies, videos and documents with you wherever you take your MacBook.
What's in the Box?
- WD My Passport for Mac
- USB cable
- Quick install guide
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Sleep Mode, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 15 mm/0.6 in.
- Width: 110.6 mm/4.35 in.
- Weight: 140 g
- Length: 82.1 mm/3.23 in.
- OS X 10.7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: WDBLUZ0010BSL-NEAP
- UPC or EAN No.: 718037814353
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
- * Performance may vary based on your hardware and system configuration.
Ratings & Reviews
Bought this to store all my school stuff and any other additional stuff that I don't want to lose. Looks great, it maintains the A Bought this to store all my school stuff and any other additional stuff that I don't want to lose. Looks great, it maintains the Apple aesthetic of the silver and black. Speed is a little slow, but it is great if you want it for something simple, and won't be using it every day. Perfect for casual users that just need something to store your stuff on. …
- Written by Christine D from Fleming Island
46 of 52 people found this useful
poor WD product
quit after 6 months -- i can't even find support --if a product won't work,support IS part of its functionality
- Written by James H from st clair shores
43 of 49 people found this useful
it gives average transfer rate of 50-60MBPS.
Its light ! compared to other HDD like seagate, and small in size
- Written by Wangel T
40 of 46 people found this useful
Drive works as expected
I have had a WD 1TB My Passport used as a backup drive on a Windows 7 PC for over a year. When I switched to an iMac in early 2014 I have had a WD 1TB My Passport used as a backup drive on a Windows 7 PC for over a year. When I switched to an iMac in early 2014, I just plugged it into the iMac, let Time Machine do its thing to format the drive for the Mac OS X, and it has been working flawlessly for the past 6 months on the iMac. It is fast, quiet, and has been reliable to date. I do check Time Machine every now and then to verify that it is doing successful backups and have not seen any issues at all. …
- Written by Neil K from Yorba Linda
Good, reasonably priced hard drive
I bought this hard drive in February 2014, to replace a 500Gb Seagate that was full. Setup of this hard drive was effortless and i I bought this hard drive in February 2014, to replace a 500Gb Seagate that was full. Setup of this hard drive was effortless and it was up and running with Time Machine in a matter of minutes.
In the last 6 months it has performed well without a problem, and I am operating OS X version 10.9.4.
If you are looking for a Mac compatible hard drive, then I can certainly recommend the WD 1Tb My Passport. …
- Written by M P H from Upper Boddington
Doesn't last for more than a year.
I have potable hard drives that are 10 years old and still functioning flawlessly. I used this as my Time Machine back up drive. I I have potable hard drives that are 10 years old and still functioning flawlessly. I used this as my Time Machine back up drive. I'm afraid I've lost a lot of important data on this drive. Please do not buy this. You have been warned. …
- Written by Dylan C from Bombay
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
What is the spin speed of this hard drive? 5400 or 7200rpm?
- Asked by Katy-robin G from Missoula
will it connect to a macbook pro.
- Asked by Joyce M
Yes, it will work with USB 2.0 on your Macbook Pro
- Answered by Francis D from Raleigh
does this come formatted for the mac?
- Asked by Joanne D from Glen Rock
Yes, Simply plug and play. Or store in this case.
- Answered by Gareth K
Is this device thunderbolt compatible?
- Asked by Soo F from Laguna Beach
WD 1TB My Passport is described as perfect travel companion for MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Is it also OK for Time Machine back ups on new iMacs?
- Asked by Tim M from Mayfield
Yes! The My Passport can be used with any Apple computer running Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion or Moun Yes! The My Passport can be used with any Apple computer running Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. …
- Answered by Raul P from Manhattan Beach