The Seagate Backup Plus for Mac portable hard drive simplifies backups when you want to protect your entire digital life locally or on social networks. The drive is formatted for Mac out of the box, making it compatible with Time Machine software to provide the simplest and most efficient way to back up locally.
Protect your content on social networks
With the Save feature, you can back up your own content from favourite social networks. Capture a photo on your iPhone, post it on a social networking site and then let the Seagate Dashboard automatically back it up. Even if the file gets accidentally deleted from your iPhone, you'll have another copy waiting.
Easily share with social networks
The Share feature lets you upload multiple files simultaneously to social networks from your computer. Simply select files to upload, choose where to post them and even add comments. Managing your social profile has never been easier.
Compatible with Mac and PC
Install the downloadable HFS+ driver for PC, and use the drive interchangeably between your Mac computers and Windows PCs – without reformatting. Also take advantage of the Seagate Backup Plus design and upgrade from the included USB 3.0 interface to Thunderbolt technology or FireWire 800 with an additionally purchasable adapter.
- Formatted for Mac out of the box
- Save feature backs up your content from favourite social media networks
- Share feature allows you to upload multiple files to social networks at once
- Downloadable HFS+ driver for PC lets you use the drive interchangeably between Macs and PCs without reformatting
- Compatible with Time Machine
- Ultra-fast USB 3.0 transfer rate
Did you notice?Share and Save features make it a snap to post and back up your content on favourite social media networks.
Apple Recommends ForEasily back up files from your Mac wherever you go.
What's in the Box?
- Seagate Backup Plus Portable External Hard Drive
- Seagate Dashboard pre-loaded on the drive
- Quick start guide
- USB 3.0 adapter with 18 in./45.7 cm cable
- Other Features: Time Machine compatible
- Connections: USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 15.2 mm/0.6 in.
- Width: 124.5 mm/4.9 in.
- Weight: 198.45 g
- Length: 81.3 mm/3.2 in.
- OS X 10.6 or later
- Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (SP3)
- Mfr. Part Number: STBW1000102
- UPC or EAN No.: 763649046036
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Seagate 1TB Portable External Drive
The minute I plugged this in to my brand new 27" iMac trouble started. First it froze my computer. Then I spent over an hour with The minute I plugged this in to my brand new 27" iMac trouble started. First it froze my computer. Then I spent over an hour with the SENIOR Mac genius trying to reformat it and partition it and every other thing you could do to it all to no avail. Maybe I just got a lemon, so I'll try one more. But after this experience...I'm not too hopeful. They say it's "MAC formatted" right out of the box, that was certainly not my experience. …
- Written by Linda W from El Sobrante
128 of 152 people found this useful
Not a single problem - works perfectly - no issues. It's a hard drive - does what it is supposed to - stores things.
- Written by JONATHON L from Westlake Village
65 of 71 people found this useful
Great Drive - Ditch the Software
I love the drive... it is extremely fast and USB 3.0 powered. Very portable and the only thing I had to do was delete the SG soft I love the drive... it is extremely fast and USB 3.0 powered. Very portable and the only thing I had to do was delete the SG software to free up that space. I use it to store my music and movies on my Mac Mini Server, and I can just pull it and take it with me to watch movies on my MBP. Brilliant! …
- Written by Craig J from Mount Juliet
60 of 63 people found this useful
Don't Buy This
Purchased this just two months ago and started to have connection issues. Initially it would disconnect for no apparent reason and Purchased this just two months ago and started to have connection issues. Initially it would disconnect for no apparent reason and then suddenly reconnect. Problem is at the point now where connection happens randomly. Good thing everything is backed up to another EHD! I CAN say that Seagate customer service is helpful because I'm getting a new one shipped - but at my expense. From what I understand it would appear that this connection issue has been enough of a problem that the case was changed to one single piece and therefore few questions were asked by their technical/warranty departments other than for my shipping address and credit card information. Definitely would not purchase this again. …
- Written by Tania K from Mississauga
Hopeless to install
Absolutely hopeless to install. Whatever I try, it will not function. How can Seagate create something so complicated out of some Absolutely hopeless to install. Whatever I try, it will not function. How can Seagate create something so complicated out of something so simple?? …
- Written by Stefan C from Amsterdam
1 of 1 people found this useful
Does not work with the new Mac Pro!
My new, late 2013 Mac Pro won't recognise, write to nor format this drive. It does however work with my older Air and iMac.
- Written by Avtar B from Bath
2 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
what back up unit should I purchase? I have a 8GB 1600 MHZ mac. Do I need a 1TB or 2TB unit?
- Asked by Sheila H from Long Beach
I would say, if you are only going to be using the external hard drive for your personal use and for I would say, if you are only going to be using the external hard drive for your personal use and for that computer, you should be ok with just the 1TB (1000GB) unit. …
- Answered by Dylan G from Coaldale
can you watch movies on a ps3 or TV using seagate 1TB plus
- Asked by Jodie H from Brisbane
Can I use this as a giant USB stick to store documents and stuff?
- Asked by Alex F from Burlington
Yes you can use this as a mega usb "stick" (quotes because this is a slim drive) for your Hello,
Yes you can use this as a mega usb "stick" (quotes because this is a slim drive) for your stuff.
- Answered by Aaron C from Granada Hills
Is it possible to back up more than one computer to a single drive, such as the Seagate? How can I tell if it's OK to do so?
- Asked by Bonnie P from Pittsburgh
Is it compatible with iPad 3, I think yes but not sure..Thank you in advance for your reply.
- Asked by Biliana P
Highly unlikely to be compatible as it connects via the USB 3.0 interface (or optionally a Thunderbo Highly unlikely to be compatible as it connects via the USB 3.0 interface (or optionally a Thunderbolt interface) so it is not designed to be connected to an iPad.
Seagate has a Wireless Plus (Mac and PC compatible) version which can be Wi-Fi connected to devices running iOS, Android®, Kindle Fire and Windows 8/RT. …
- Answered by Kym G from Lindfield West