With both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt interfaces, the LaCie d2 is a perfect match for your Mac. And because USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, you can connect it to any standard computer.
Get lightning-fast transfer speeds thanks to the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports. With performance up to 180 MB/s* – twice as fast as FireWire 800 and more than four times as fast as USB 2.0. Back up and transfer mountains of data in a fraction of the time. Enjoy more responsive photo library browsing. Save time and get better performance when using A/V editing tools.
Advanced cooling for long-term reliability
The solid aluminium casing provides 60% more surface area than flat designs, diverting and dissipating heat more efficiently. Its innovative design means it stays cool without requiring a noise-producing fan. This efficient and silent cooling system is perfect for even the most noise-sensitive creative environments.
Designed for convenience
With its space-saving form, you can stand the LaCie d2 drive alone vertically, stack multiple products horizontally or install it in a 19-inch rack with a kit from LaCie. It also features email alerts, so you can monitor your device before potential problems escalate.
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices via one simple port and a cable that carries both DisplayPort and PCI Express data. And it’s standard on every Mac.
PCI Express is the technology that links all the high-performance components in a Mac. And it’s built into Thunderbolt, which means you can get PCI Express speed outside the box.
Thunderbolt gives you up to 10 Gbps in both directions, allowing for super-fast data transfer between peripherals. You also have enough bandwidth to daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices without using a hub or switch.
Thunderbolt also provides double the power of USB 3.0, delivering 10 watts to peripherals for improved performance on the go.
- Universal connectivity with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0
- Amazing speeds up to 180 MB/s*
- Time Machine compatible
- Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac included
- Data security with encryption
- Easy cross-platform formatting utility
- Professional grade 7200 rpm hard drive
Did you notice?For maximum convenience, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables come with the drive.
Apple Recommends ForKeeping your valuable data safe wherever you travel – no matter how difficult the conditions.
What's in the Box?
- LaCie d2 USB 3.0/Thunderbolt Series Hard Drive
- USB 3.0 cable (USB 2.0 compatible)
- Thunderbolt cable
- Drive stand for upright use; rubber feet for horizontal use
- External power supply
- QIG and Complete Software Suite: LaCie Setup Assistant, LaCie Private-Public, Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac, Genie Backup Manager Pro for PC, Wuala Secure Cloud Storage
- Other Features: Data Encryption, Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 183 mm/7.2 in.
- Width: 60 mm/2.3 in.
- Weight: 1.7 kg
- Length: 168 mm/6.6 in.
- OS X 10.5 or later (10.5 – Intel Only)
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- Mfr. Part Number: 9000353
- UPC or EAN No.: 093053006051
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
- *Maximum interface transfer rate = theoretical bus bandwidth, whereas burst transfer rate = maximum drive speed. Tests conducted with a 3TB hard disk. Average transfer rates vary from one computer to another and from one drive to another.
Ratings & Reviews
Great Thunderbolt HD
This works well as a Time Machine backup disk or as a scratch disk for video editing. The transfer speeds are great. If you want This works well as a Time Machine backup disk or as a scratch disk for video editing. The transfer speeds are great. If you want faster read/write times then grab something with flash storage instead, but for the average consumer this should work fine.
I like that it spins down and sleeps when the computer does, and particularly like that it also has a dedicated on/off switch unlike some other drives.
It looks great paired up with an iMac. The d2 line has rock solid performance and reliability and this seems to continue that trend. …
- Written by Richard H from Charlotte
102 of 109 people found this useful
Does its job
Under Snow Leopard, Lion and Mt Lion this thunderbolt device sleeps with the system . Awakens with the system and copy speeds rang Under Snow Leopard, Lion and Mt Lion this thunderbolt device sleeps with the system . Awakens with the system and copy speeds range between 130 megs/sec to 160.
Compared to the Little Big Disk it takes a few seconds to wind up after awake but no big deal. Does not slow the shutdown time of the system.
Only drawback is the one thunderbolt port, so must place at the end of the daisy chain. …
- Written by Don H from Woodhaven
73 of 81 people found this useful
Mine is very quiet!
As there is no fan inside, the only noise I hear is from the spinning drive, and the head seeking during ac Mine is very quiet!
As there is no fan inside, the only noise I hear is from the spinning drive, and the head seeking during access.
No whining at all. A fine addition to my desktop. …
- Written by Mike M from Beaverton
68 of 76 people found this useful
Reliable and durable
This is my second LaCie drive that I use for backup. Both drives are solid performances. I haven't had any issues with either of t This is my second LaCie drive that I use for backup. Both drives are solid performances. I haven't had any issues with either of them. This model in particular is fast and works beautifully with Time Machine. It is really nice to get something that works exactly as you expected. …
- Written by Sadie P
Works as expected but few minor annoyances
I have no issues with the functionality of the drive. Works fine and sleeps and wakes with the Mac and using Home Sharing with oth I have no issues with the functionality of the drive. Works fine and sleeps and wakes with the Mac and using Home Sharing with other Macs and iOS devices on the network.
Although the drive is fan less, I find it louder than some the other external drives I have from other manufacturers.
Odd thing is if I very slightly squeeze the case, noise levels drops a little.
The other issue is the light on the front, which seems to be on all the LaCie products I have.
Why so big and why so bright with no option to turn off.
If your using your Mac and sharing your media, nothing more annoying that at night when your in bed and someone in family using home sharing and the drive starts up and that light is blaring. We shouldn't have to tape over the light or hide the drive. …
- Written by Sally J
1 of 1 people found this useful
Excellent fast drive!
Runs well, very fast. Love the 3TB storage capacity and the quiet fanless design. The aluminum enclosure is very clever at keeping Runs well, very fast. Love the 3TB storage capacity and the quiet fanless design. The aluminum enclosure is very clever at keeping heat under control, and at the same time the design of the drive is elegant and minimalist. And, again, the drive is fast!! …
- Written by Brooke P
1 of 1 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Can I daisy chain this drive with a LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB (FireWire, USB3.0, 7.200RPM) on the USB3.0 ports?
- Asked by Ricardo G from Belo Horizonte
will this drive work with maverick
- Asked by Patrick C J from Hacksneck
Yes, it works.
Maverick=10.9.1=my machine, 2.53 GHz Core i5, 4 GB DDR3, MacBook Pro, 2010
- Answered by Frank R from Mooresville
I have the below system, will this item be compatible?
- Asked by Aimee W from Kenwood
Your iMac has USB2 ports. It does not have USB3 nor thunderbolt. If you purchase this product even t Your iMac has USB2 ports. It does not have USB3 nor thunderbolt. If you purchase this product even though I believe its a great product you'd be wasting your money. You'll never achieve realistic performance out of it. Your best choice is to purchase a firewire 800 product. In todays world firewire 800 is too darn slow.
Bottom line buy a guad core iMac and get in the modern world or be satisfied with what you currently use. …
- Answered by Don H from Woodhaven
Can I put my iTunes Library on this drive and use Apple TV to read off it with decent speed?
- Asked by Kris W from Bountiful
Yes! For music USB 2.0 is adequate even for Apple Lossless files. Thunderbolt 1 would be more than Yes! For music USB 2.0 is adequate even for Apple Lossless files. Thunderbolt 1 would be more than adequate. …
- Answered by Arthur Roger G from Morristown