The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminium enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminium case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminium enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 47 mm/1.85 in.
- Width: 130 mm/5.125 in.
- Weight: 1300 g
- Length: 235 mm/9.25 in.
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- OS X 10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191080
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
107 of 161 people found this useful
Beautiful but noisy
If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's l If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's let down by two things. Firstly it's quite noisy, especially when Time Machine is running, a bit like a piece of paper stuck in the spokes of a bicycle. Second, is there any need for such a large and bright light on the front, it's a bit distracting especially when it's flashing away during back ups. I bought it to complement my new iMac and it does this very well and I've no complaints about it's operation, which is superb. If it was as quiet and unobtrusive as the Buffalo it replaced it would be the bees knees. …
- Written by George P B from Heswall
45 of 49 people found this useful
Good Built but too noisy and glowing led
Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it Good built quality, but too bulky for today's standards. It is fast when used as Firewire 800. So far works reliably. However it is too noisy and the front led is more of a flashlight than an indicator, quite disturbing, as it is placed beside my iMac ! …
- Written by Guy T from Kritzendorf
41 of 45 people found this useful
nice hard drive.......
I have this little gem, only thing I find annoying, is the bright white light thats on all the time, I cut a small piece of foiled I have this little gem, only thing I find annoying, is the bright white light thats on all the time, I cut a small piece of foiled back self stick what they wrap on furnace joints , I cut to fit on the light as a defuser works great and still shines around back light, the drive is not all that noisy I find it works great on my new I Mac, better than the WD i used to have connects to apple products by plugging it in, I like it, and recommend …
- Written by Thomas S from Columbus
Good while it last!
I bought this drive in June 2013 after losing my main computer drive. Today I had a message that Mac OX could not repair disk. I t I bought this drive in June 2013 after losing my main computer drive. Today I had a message that Mac OX could not repair disk. I tried to get it to re-connect, but to no use. Now I need to look for a new one before anything happens to my main HD in the computer.
I only give it 2 stars because it was always having issues backing up coming out of sleep. I would have to restart the computer to correct it. It was also bulky and loud like others commented. …
- Written by David P from Lake Orion
This is Legit
I've had this drive for almost three years and work it like crazy without a hitch. Because the the drives are Hitachi drives, one I've had this drive for almost three years and work it like crazy without a hitch. Because the the drives are Hitachi drives, one will know it can be guaranteed for a long life span. I've had a previous Hitachi 2.5 drive and it's been thru a lot from leaving it in a very hot location to a very cold location it still keeps ticking and that drive is on it's 10th year of ticking. This drive is amazing I would recommend. …
- Written by lawrence W from san jose
0 of 1 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
As is, no for this you need a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage) and then access the one drive via As is, no for this you need a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage) and then access the one drive via ethernet or wireless. Having said that, many routers have a USB port that can accommodate an external HDD which then can be accessed via the network.
You'll want to make sure that the router supports USB 3 though, otherwise this drive wont live up to its potential. …
- Answered by Sam M from Northgate
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
It works fine with my system!
- Answered by Neil W
it has to be connected to power outlet all time
- Asked by Amr E from Cairo
If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer If you are asking if it needs to be connected to a mains power outlet in order to use it, the answer is Yes it does. …
- Answered by D J C
I would like to use this drive as an external iTunes Library
- Asked by Christopher B
I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. I I have the 2TB version hooked up to my iMac via FW800. My iTunes library is on the external drive. It works fine but occasionally there is a slight delay when using iTunes as the external drive spins up. …
- Answered by Gavin M
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana