The G-Technology G-DRIVE hard drive is a superb choice for projects like digital photography, audio/video editing and high-speed data backup that involve huge amounts of data. That's because its USB 3.0 and FireWire interfaces can handle enormous traffic volumes. Plus it's plug and play on Mac OSX and ready to use with Time Machine. And G-DRIVE remains cool and quiet thanks to an all-aluminium enclosure with an integrated heat-sink system.
- USB 3.0 and FireWire ports for flexible, high-speed data transfer
- Integrated heat-sink for near silent operation and cooling
- Solid all-aluminium case makes for durability and stylish looks
- Plenty of storage for digital video, music, and photo files
- Includes all cables
- Time Machine-ready, plug-and-play setup on Mac OS
- Mac OS X and Windows compatible
- Three-year factory warranty
Did you notice?The sleek aluminium enclosure delivers the best in reliability and durability.
Apple Recommends ForA perfect companion for your Mac and all your demanding applications.
What's in the Box?
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive
- Universal AC power supply
- FireWire 800 cables
- USB 3.0 cable (backward compatible with USB 2.0)
- Other Features: Kensington Port, Time Machine Compatible
- Connections: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: External power supply
- Height: 47 mm/1.85 in.
- Width: 130 mm/5.125 in.
- Weight: 1300 g
- Length: 235 mm/9.25 in.
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- OS X 10.5 or later
- USB 3.0, USB 2.0 or FireWire port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Mfr. Part Number: 0G02529
- UPC or EAN No.: 705487191080
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
Ratings & Reviews
Beautiful but noisy
If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's l If I could award stars for looks & construction it would get 5. It's a great looking piece of kit and beautifully built but it's let down by two things. Firstly it's quite noisy, especially when Time Machine is running, a bit like a piece of paper stuck in the spokes of a bicycle. Second, is there any need for such a large and bright light on the front, it's a bit distracting especially when it's flashing away during back ups. I bought it to complement my new iMac and it does this very well and I've no complaints about it's operation, which is superb. If it was as quiet and unobtrusive as the Buffalo it replaced it would be the bees knees. …
- Written by George P B from Heswall
39 of 42 people found this useful
Do NOT buy this drive!
I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAI I made the mistake of buying a G-drive; kept it in the best of conditions, and used it as my backup drive. One day it suddenly FAILED for no apparent reason. I of course contacted G-Technologies and found out that G-Technologies WOULD NOT honor their own warranty. Not only did I lose all my data -- I also have a $200 paperweight to remind me of what a rip-off product this G-drive is. Tip: If you care about safeguarding your data -- DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE!! …
- Written by Peder R from Simi Valley
66 of 106 people found this useful
Love This Drive
I've had this drive for over a year, and use it daily. I've never had a problem with it, or my 2 G-Drive Mini's
- Written by Adam C from Winnipeg
21 of 23 people found this useful
Noisy and unpredictable wake cycle
Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of Thats it mainly (the title) in these day and age a drive should be silent and offer some power management .
I made the error of buying this drive, looks good but thats it… …
- Written by jean-pierre B from Montreal
Seems OK so far
Needed an extra hard disk mainly for video editing and was a little concerned that some of the reviews here claim the drive is noi Needed an extra hard disk mainly for video editing and was a little concerned that some of the reviews here claim the drive is noisy. The one I have is very quiet and works well, with no problems so far. It's very smart and apart from the price being a little steep, I'm pleased with it. One thing to note is that you need it switched on if you're daisy chaining firewire devices. I have a firewire audio interface that's last in the chain and it only works if the G Drive is turned on. …
- Written by Mark N from Linlithgow
Excellent speeds, Noise level unacceptable
I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the descri I purchased this drive along with a 27" iMac to use for a recording studio. The noise level is anything but "Quiet" as the description says.
It is really too noisy to be used in an audio facility. Sad because the performance is top grade, so is the look next to the iMac.
I will be returning it as it is unfortunately useless to me. Apple should realy change the product description or at least provide noise level information. …
- Written by Michel V from Gatineau
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
is this drive compatible with mavericks operating system
- Asked by Greg W from Bainbridge Island
Is this a wireless hard drive
- Asked by Adam J from Adelaide
No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. No, it's not. You can access the drive only when connected via the USB 3 or the Firewire 800 Cables. And of course if it's part of a local network. …
- Answered by Fernando E from Caracas
Can I use the G-Technology 3TB G-DRIVE Professional External Hard Drive with my iMac AND my MacBookPro?
- Asked by David R from Rugeley
If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect an If you connect the drive to one iMac and turn on file sharing for the drive, then you can connect and use the drive from another iMac. You can't typically access the same files simultaneously e.g. iPhoto. …
- Answered by Gerald B from Lower Sackville
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Ge Hi Dudley,
The drive has a USB 3.0 connection, so this is a later version than the Gen 4. The Gen 4 had a USB 2.0 connection.
Unfortunately the G-Technology G-DRIVE does not have 'hardware encryption', but they are great drives.
I hope this helps. …
- Answered by Adrian C from Santa Ana
Will the hard drive work with my mac book pro if i plug it into my airport extreme?
- Asked by Louis N