The MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive features the revolutionary Thunderbolt storage technology, which is two times faster than USB 3.0, raising the bar on how you transfer, store, and transport data. Coupled with the lightning-fast Thunderbolt storage technology is a USB 3.0 port for universal connectivity. Simply plug it into any available USB port on your computer and instantly add capacity or store ﬁles to take on the road. Plug-and-play usability means there are no drivers to install. Just plug it into your Mac with the included cables and you’re ready to go.
The drive is compatible with Time Machine, so you can schedule backups and automatically protect your important ﬁles with ease. Housed in a sleek aluminium body, the MiniStation Thunderbolt portable hard drive is a stylish storage companion for your Mac while on the go and at home. It offers the convenience of bus power so you can access your ﬁles without an additional power source.
- Dual interface, bus-powered, plug and play
- Thunderbolt technology offers interface speeds up to 10 Gbps for lightning-fast transfers
- USB offers universal plug and play connectivity and interface speeds up to 5 Gbps in USB 3.0 mode
- Compatible with USB 2.0
- Includes both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables
- Sleek aluminium design
- Time Machine-compatible
- Three-year warranty
Did you notice?The dual Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 interface provides the fastest transfer rates for both new and older Macs.
Apple Recommends ForGreat for creative professionals and multimedia enthusiasts who want rapid backup of all the files on their Mac.
What's in the Box?
- Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive
- Thunderbolt cable
- USB 3.0 cable
- Other Features: Time Machine compatible
- Connections: Thunderbolt, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
- Power Source: Bus Powered
- Height: 130 mm/5.12 in.
- Width: 80.5 mm/3.17 in.
- Weight: 263.08 g
- Length: 23.4 mm/0.92 in.
- OS X 10.6 or later
- Windows 7/Vista/XP
- Mfr. Part Number: HD-PA500TU3
- UPC or EAN No.: 4981254443224
Non-Apple Branded products / Third Party Products
- Note: Apple's One Year Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Non-Apple branded products may have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty provided by the product manufacturer - Please see your product box and literature for details. Rights under the product manufacturer's warranty are in addition, and not instead of, any rights that you have under consumer protection laws.
- *Speeds shown represent maximum interface connection speeds. Actual device transfer speeds will vary based on hard drive specifications and host devices.**MiniStation Thunderbolt does not have a Thunderbolt pass-through port, so it must be the last device on a daisy-chain.***Windows OS systems only supported using USB connection.
Ratings & Reviews
Speed and Value
Includes Thunderbolt cable and USB3 interface. While it takes a RAID0 or SSD to see the real speed of Thunderbolt, this drive is s Includes Thunderbolt cable and USB3 interface. While it takes a RAID0 or SSD to see the real speed of Thunderbolt, this drive is still no slouch. Faster than anything out there in the non-SSD portable market. Absolutely bus powered, not even an option for external power. I use it with my mid-2011 MBA and it gives me plenty of room and speed to work on Final Cut projects on the road. It has been banging around in my roll-aboard for 2 months now, so it seems to be road worthy so far. I like the looks, too.
Only drawback is that is only has one TBolt port, so it has to be on the end of a daisy-chain. …
- Written by Jack P from Fair Oaks Ranch
66 of 66 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
can i use this to stream movies onto my Ipad Thanks..
- Asked by Lana C from Melbourne
No. The iPad lacks any kind of interface to connect to any external hard drive. It's not designed to No. The iPad lacks any kind of interface to connect to any external hard drive. It's not designed to communicate with external hard drives. …
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville
Is this unit compatible with time machine?
- Asked by Sandra C from Indianapolis
It states in the details for the product that it is time machine compatible.
- Answered by Jason W from Ludington
will in work with my mac book pro
- Asked by Alexander H from Port Arthur
- Answered by Andre K
Can I use this to store iTunes music & movies instead of my computer?
- Asked by Sean D from Flagstaff
Yes. I've done this for years and it makes reinstalling and maintaining the systems way faster when Yes. I've done this for years and it makes reinstalling and maintaining the systems way faster when necessary. I also keep an identical backup in a safe. …
- Answered by Gavin O from Irvine
Can you use this to transfer docs from Mac to PC or vice versa?
- Asked by Lyn L from Brighton
It would be better to format it ExFAT than FAT. With ExFAT, you'd have the same interoperability bet It would be better to format it ExFAT than FAT. With ExFAT, you'd have the same interoperability between Windows and Mac OS X, but you'd have fewer capacity restrictions. ExFAT was designed for larger FLASH drives specifically to be functional for both Windows and OS X.
As file systems go, it's not as good as either NTFS or the Mac OS X journaled file system, but it's the best option for passing files back and forth between the two operating systems. …
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville