Questions & Answers for Lightning to VGA Adapter
48 Questions from the Community
Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?
I am a chemistry teacher and my fume hood is in a very tight spot in my class. I want to show reactions that happen in the fume hood over a projector. If I were to use a GoPro camera, the GoPro app, and connect my iPhone 5 to a projector using this adapter, would I be able to get the projector to show a live feed of the reaction?
- Asked by Jeremy S from Kapolei
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?)
Netflix, Hulu Plus & HBO Go…do they work with this cable?
I've been searching for hours for a definitive answer to this. Picking one of these up at BestBuy and trying for myself would probably be the best way to go. But I'll ask…Does anyone know? Assuming latest updates, does this cable work with Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO2GO?
- Asked by Darin K from Spokane
- Flag as inappropriate (Netflix, Hulu Plus & HBO Go…do they work with this cable?)
What's in the box with the iphone5?
- Asked by Linda H from Ferriday
- Flag as inappropriate (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
Lightning sync/charge cable, charger, new-style ear buds and nano-sim ejection tool. Oh - and a quick start guide.
- Answered by Darrin S from London
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's in the box with the iphone5?)
Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?
Given VGA is video only, can the Lightning Port on the adapter be used for audio and power or just power? Does the audio pass through the connector?
- Asked by Mark S from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
The Lightning port does support audio. However, VGA does NOT.
You will not get audio out via a VGA adapter and cable.
- Answered by Nathan C from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the audio pass through the lightning connector?)
You should use the lightning to VGA. This will plug in to your smart board and work instantly. For the projector you just need the projector hooked up to a computer and plug in this same adapter to the computer. This will work perfectly.
- Answered by Molly B from Argyle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which cable would be best to connect my iPad to the smart board and projector?????)
Yes it can be used to charge the iOS device while being used. The adapter has an input for a lightning cable, so if you plug in the lightning cable (attached to a charger) to the adapter, the iPhone/iPad/iPod will charge while you are using the VGA adapter.
- Answered by Brian G from Salem
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Lightning to VGA adaptor charge the iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch when being used?)
Can you charge your device at the same time?
- Asked by Daniel S
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
- Answered by Irene H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
What about audio?
I assume, with this device, you could output the video via VGA, as stated. However, if you have a movie on your iphone 5, can you simultaneously output audio via the headphone jack on the iphone 5 while this device is still plugged into the Lightning connector?
- Asked by David M from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (What about audio?)
Another option for audio out would be to use Bluetooth.
- Answered by James S from Niceville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What about audio?)
Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter
I would like to know the length of the Lightning to VGA Adapter cable
I'm looking for a fairly long one. And also can it be extended with the help of another cables?
- Asked by Gururaj S
- Flag as inappropriate (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
This is an adapter not a cable. It adapts your Lighting device to be used with projectors and displays that use a VGA signal. You use a standard VGA cable that came with the projector or display. Or you can by a standard VGA cable of various lengths and a computer store. The standard cable will have a male connector at each end. This adapter therefore has a female VGA connector that the standard VGA cable with the male connector plugs into. If you look you will also find that the standard VGA connector on your TV, projector or display has a .... wait for it .... female connector. To recap. A standard VGA cable will have male connectors at each end. Devices that work with a other VGA standard devices have female connectors. Pretty cool.
- Answered by Les W from Boca Raton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
yes of course you can transfer files. Simple have google drive or dropbox in your ipad and install the same in your acer computer. It will do the rest....
- Answered by Hudha Z from Kurunegala
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I transfer pictures or files from my iPad to my acer computer, which uses Microsoft 7?)
Can i use this to mirror to my mac?
Can I use this Lightning to VGA connector to mirror to my mac?
- Asked by Fearghal H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this to mirror to my mac?)
How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?
I have a pioneer avh-2500bt that is telling me I need VGA adaptor for my iPhone 5..
Although, I'm finding out that it does not support audio transfer. How does the audio work?
- Asked by Karl R from Hobbs
- Flag as inappropriate (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
The lighting to VGA adaptor does not support audio. VGA cables have never supported audio.
- Answered by Sean O from North Haven
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How does audio work with lighting to VGA adaptor?)
The port next to the VGA port is a lightning port that allows you to charge your device while it is plugged into a VGA output.
- Answered by Patrick R from Quitman
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the slot adjacent to the VGA out on the adapter? Is it for a security tether?)
Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?
SlideShark app allows for a "notes view", where I am supposed to be able to see my notes on my ipad, but audience only sees the actual "slide view". I want to know if anybody else has tried this. Does it work?
- Asked by Barbara F from Indianapolis
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?)
SlideShark gives you the option to view your PowerPoint presentation (including all graphics and animations) in full screen or in a notes view where you can see the slide notes, a roll of upcoming slides and a window showing the slide playing through with all the animations (still controlled by clicks/taps), a bit like presenter view on PowerPoint. When you connect your iPad to a second monitor, the second monitor will only ever show the full screen presentation show, but you have the option on the iPad to have a mirror (full screen) or presenter view. You can't see the SlideShark menu on the second screen either, so you can move between different presentations really easily.
For me, it's a superb app and one of the main reasons for getting an iPad. It works really seamlessly, and you can use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote too, so you don't even need to hold the iPad.
Starting with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, everything is mirrored on the projector or monitor. So if you have the iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5S/5C (which are the only models this adapter is currently supported by) you will see apps, videos, pictures, and even apps that don't necessarily support TV Out.
The iPod touch 5th generation is also supported, which I believe also has the video mirroring feature.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does lightning to vga adapter show all apps ?on a projector or just the main apple and video apps)
can you connect a lightning 30 pin adapter to the lightning vga adapter to give video output, analog audio and ipod control (from old system)Best Answer:
I tried this by connecting the 30 pin adaptor to the lightning VGA adaptor, then connecting the video feed to the video in of a TechnoGym treadmill and the 30 pin cable into the designated dock on the machine. The video worked fine and the phone receives charge (from the 30 pin cable). However the gym equipment did not recognise it as a compatible device and would not allow media control or Nike Plus functions. These do work when the 30 pin adaptor is used by itself. It appears the lightning socket on this product does not pass through much more than power (if anything).
- Answered by Ashley A from Evesham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you connect a lightning 30 pin adapter to the lightning vga adapter to give video output, analog audio and ipod control (from old system))
Of course you can, don't forget to connect your Ipad mini audio output to external audio amplifier.
- Answered by German M from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect my iPad mini to my smart board using the lightning to VGA adaptor?)